Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Vocabulary (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Derrama (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=23675)

ROBINDESBOIS April 04, 2019 01:18 AM

Derrama

how can I say derrama in English?
He tenido que pagar una derrama de 150 euros este mes.

Rusty April 04, 2019 03:11 AM

As I understand how the word is used in Spain, it appears to be a fee assessed of those who live in a building (like condominiums). The fee helps defray the costs of ongoing maintenance (like to replace light bulbs in the stairwells or for new paint).

Here, in the USA, if you live in a condominium, you pay a condominium fee. In planned living areas (gated community, small complex of houses, condos, duplexes, etc.), the fee is called a homeowners association (HOA) fee.

ROBINDESBOIS April 04, 2019 05:03 AM

WE also have that fee but sometimes we need to put more money because there are some extra works to be done. And that´s what we call derrama the extra money we have to add to the monthly fee.

Rusty April 04, 2019 08:55 AM

I would still call it a fee (building fee, maintenance fee, construction fee, assessment fee), or a collection (or some other kind of charge - short of calling it a tax or a levy). The fee/collection has been assessed for a certain purpose.

wrholt April 04, 2019 04:29 PM

I concur with Rusty; in the US, the generic name for both regular and extraordinary assessments to pay for expenses related to property held in common are called "fees". The legal documents that govern the owner's association may have a particular name for extraordinary assessments, but typically it's a type of fee.

Nick F April 04, 2019 09:28 PM

In the UK such “fees” are referred to as “property service charges”. Depending on the lease terms many “service charges” are split into two parts. 1) service charge for ongoing running expenses - eg energy costs for communal areas, garden maintenance (if communal) etc 2) service charge contribution to a sinking fund. - I think you are referring to this charge. Tenants pay into the sinking fund/reserve each year and the landlord in theory uses this fund to pay for periodical large maintenance jobs e.g repainting the outside of the building etc. The theory being it’s not just a cost for the occupants at the time of the work but also previous occupants. Therefore you can use “service charge” or more specially “sinking fund contribution”

ROBINDESBOIS April 06, 2019 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick F (Post 175579)
In the UK such “fees” are referred to as “property service charges”. Depending on the lease terms many “service charges” are split into two parts. 1) service charge for ongoing running expenses - eg energy costs for communal areas, garden maintenance (if communal) etc 2) service charge contribution to a sinking fund. - I think you are referring to this charge. Tenants pay into the sinking fund/reserve each year and the landlord in theory uses this fund to pay for periodical large maintenance jobs e.g repainting the outside of the building etc. The theory being it’s not just a cost for the occupants at the time of the work but also previous occupants. Therefore you can use “service charge” or more specially “sinking fund contribution”

BUT derrama in Spain, is only temporary, it´s not the charge you put in every month. Sometimes it lasts months if it is too big, and sometimes is just an extra payment.

aleCcowaN April 06, 2019 05:32 AM

In Argentina community fees are expensas comunes and what they call derrama in Spain is expensas extraordinarias. Generally the first ones are paid by the tenant, if their contract says so. The derrama is always paid by the property owner, hence the importance of such distinction.

I've never heard in the States that a tenant should pay for any expenses other than electricity, phone, gas, cable TV, Internet and maybe water bills, so the distinction might be less important.

ROBINDESBOIS April 07, 2019 08:51 AM

extra building charge??

wrholt April 07, 2019 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBINDESBOIS (Post 175590)
extra building charge??

Probably not "extra": more likely "extraordinary", "special", "special-purpose", depending on local conventions.