Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Grammar (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   La before a verb (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=23932)

Tyrn August 09, 2019 07:01 AM

La before a verb
 
Hi,

Y en mi ciudad natal había unos tíos que la tomaban siempre conmigo.

And there were these fellows in my home town who used to take after me pretty regularly.

Lexicalized pronoun again? If so, what would be its "infinitive" and definition?

UPD

Another usage:

Yo no era el único con quien la tomaba.

aleCcowaN August 09, 2019 08:21 AM

Quote:

Hi,

Y en mi ciudad natal había unos tíos que la tomaban siempre conmigo.

And there were these fellows in my home town who used to take after me pretty regularly.

Lexicalized pronoun again? If so, what would be its "infinitive" and definition?
I don't quite understand what "take after me" means there. I only know it as "to resemble someone or to follow someone's example", but the context suggests something like "to pick at or bull someone". If that's the case it would be "la tomaban conmigo" (verb: tomarla, with lexicalized pronoun) meaning "they have it in for me".

The use varies regionally. I'd use "se la agarraban conmigo" (agarrárselas)

Quote:

UPD

Another usage:

Yo no era el único con quien la tomaba.
Probably the same use, although I'm not familiar with that use.

I would use "tomar/agarrar/tener de punto (a alguien)", but it's regional.

Tyrn August 09, 2019 10:36 AM

Quote:

but the context suggests something like "to pick at or bull someone"
Something like that, yes. Thanks!

poli August 09, 2019 12:03 PM

I thought the la referred to a beer or some other beverage with a the female gender.

Rusty August 09, 2019 01:35 PM

The phrase is tomarla con alguien. As Alec points out, it means 'to have it in for somebody.'
The English translation given in the original post is incorrect.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:04 PM.

Forum powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.