Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Technical things (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Time settings (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=7383)

xchic March 14, 2010 12:27 AM

Time settings

I have my time settings to GMT+1 & Detect daylight saving - so why is the forum clock showing 9.27am when it's actually 8.27 right now?

pjt33 March 14, 2010 12:44 AM

It's probably assuming that summer time starts everywhere on the same day. It's just started in the US and Canada, but doesn't start in the EU for another two weeks. (Phew! Panic over! I thought I'd forgotten it and would be late to church).

xchic March 14, 2010 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjt33 (Post 76286)
It's probably assuming that summer time starts everywhere on the same day. It's just started in the US and Canada, but doesn't start in the EU for another two weeks. (Phew! Panic over! I thought I'd forgotten it and would be late to church).

That must be it!

So the software doesn't really 'automatically detect DST' then!

bobjenkins March 14, 2010 01:00 AM

¿Cuándo los relojes cambiarán en España? He estado esperando hasta las trece en España, pienso que estoy lento por ocho horas. Ahora es 1

Cuando me mude al otro lugar estaré confundido porque aquí nunca no se cambian los relojes:eek:

xchic March 14, 2010 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobjenkins (Post 76288)
¿Cuándo los relojes cambiarán en España? He estado esperando hasta las trece en España, pienso que estoy lento por ocho horas. Ahora es 1

Cuando me mude al otro lugar estaré confundido porque aquí nunca no se cambian los relojes:eek:

Siempre cambian el último domingo de marzo y octubre, el mismo que en Inglaterra.Que es donde GMT viene. ;)¿Por qué es diferente en los EE.UU.?

bobjenkins March 14, 2010 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xchic (Post 76289)
Siempre cambian el último domingo de marzo y octubre, el mismo que en Inglaterra.Que es donde GMT viene. ;)¿Por qué es diferente en los EE.UU.?

No sé pero aquí en Arizona nadie nunca lo cambia

Quote:

Most of Arizona does not observe daylight saving time, and during summer months is on the same time as Pacific Daylight Time, though it is still called Mountain Standard Time in Arizona.
No tengo ninguna idea por qué no se lo cambia, quizás somos especiales :thinking::D

ROBINDESBOIS March 14, 2010 03:44 AM

In fact I think it´s a very good idea what Arizonians do, It´s a pain in the back to change the time over and over. It´s not good for the body, and I don´t think we save all that money the Lousy talk about.

xchic March 14, 2010 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobjenkins (Post 76291)
No sé pero aquí en Arizona nadie nunca lo cambia

No tengo ninguna idea por qué no se lo cambia, quizás somos especiales :thinking::D

Most of Arizona? Not all of it?

How strange!!

bobjenkins March 14, 2010 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xchic (Post 76295)
Most of Arizona? Not all of it?

How strange!!

Sí ,pensaba que todos no lo cambian , pero qué raro! ... me pregunta el por qué , ya tengo que saberlo:)

editar.. jajaj es porque hace sumamente calor aquí :(:(

Quote:

While energy conservation was the original inspiration why the rest of the country does it, the main reason that people in Arizona opposed it at the time it was inacted (1974) was simply because it is so hot in much of Arizona during the summer that many people wait until after sunset to do outdoor activities and thus do not want to push back sunset (and the cooler temperatures it brings) any further.

Here are the details:
The main reason for daylight savings in the United States has been for energy conservation. The idea is that more sunlight in the evening means that homes and stores don't have to turn on lights as early and thus save energy and fuel. The US (including Arizona) went on day light savings during both World War 1 and World War 2 to save fuel and energy for the war effort, but then went off after the wars were over. Over the following years, some states and even individual cities enacted it on a local basis.

The current national system of day light savings was implemented by a federal law called the 'Emergency Daylight Saving Time Energy Conservation Act of 1973' in reponse to the oil shortage at that time (it was made permanent a year later). Prior to its passing, numerous citizen groups in Arizona sent in petitions for the state to be exempted from this and Arizona Governor Jack Williams also supported exemption. Arizona farmers were especially against it because they were often up early in the mornings when temps are cooler

Jessica March 14, 2010 01:23 PM

daily savings time