Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Translations (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Goodbyes (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=3274)

TJtacos March 05, 2009 08:12 PM

Goodbyes

I know lots of ways to greet people. I would like to learn some ways to say goodbye to my patients.
I have heard que te vaya bien (though I am not sure of the exact meaning) to be more polite can I say
que le vaya bien?
I know que tenga un buen dia but what about have a nice evening.
so I would like to be able to say:
take care - have a nice evening - have a nice weekend - and any other common goodbyes

Thanks for your help, Damon.

Rusty March 05, 2009 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJtacos (Post 28024)
que te vaya bien :good: (used with close friends)
can I say que le vaya bien? :thumbsup: (both of these mean 'may things go well for you')
I know que tenga un buen dia but what about have a nice evening. (replace 'un buen día' with 'una buena noche')

Take care - Cuídese (mucho)
Have a nice weekend - Que tenga un buen fin de semana.

poli March 05, 2009 08:37 PM

A lot of South Americans say ciou (chow) especially Argentinians and Colombians. Hasta luego is a good one. In Spain, they shorten hasta luego and say something that sounds like logo o hasta logo.

tacuba March 05, 2009 08:52 PM

Hasta la próxima. Until the next time.
Nos vemos. See you. (actually "we'll see each other)
Hasta luego. See you later. (until later)
Saludos a tu (su) familia (esposa, esposo etc). Give my regards to your family (wife, husband etc).

TJtacos March 05, 2009 08:59 PM

Thank you

Thank you all!

TJtacos March 05, 2009 10:55 PM

see you next Thursday

would see you next Thursday be
hasta el jueves que viene ?
and
see you on Saturday
hasta el sábado

Sorry one more question. An eldery patient always says to me - que te vaya bien - is it correct to respond to this by saying
-gracias y usted tambien?

Bolboreta March 06, 2009 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJtacos (Post 28041)
would see you next Thursday be
hasta el jueves que viene ? :good:
and
see you on Saturday
hasta el sábado:good:

Sorry one more question. An eldery patient always says to me - que te vaya bien - is it correct to respond to this by saying
-gracias y a usted tambien :good:?
I edit my post because I realised that in the last tense you've made a mistake. If he says "que TE vaya bien", is using TÚ to talk to you. So you should answer: Gracias, y a TÍ también.

poli, have you ever been in Galicia? Ata logo is galician language, but in this region we often use mixed words -like in every bilingual region, I suppose-. As a curiosity, our Spanish-Galician mixed language is called "castrapo", as the mixture of Spanish and English is Spanglish. Many people say Hasta logo (hasta is spanish and logo is galician)

I ask you because I lived in different regions and I never heard Hasta logo out of Galicia. At the rest of Spain they use Hasta luego or 'taluego.

poli March 06, 2009 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolboreta (Post 28044)
poli, have you ever been in Galicia? Ata logo is galician language, but in this region we often use mixed words -like in every bilingual region, I suppose-. As a curiosity, our Spanish-Galician mixed language is called "castrapo", as the mixture of Spanish and English is Spanglish. Many people say Hasta logo (hasta is spanish and logo is galician)

I ask you because I lived in different regions and I never heard Hasta logo out of Galicia. At the rest of Spain they use Hasta luego or 'taluego.

Thank you for this thread. This is the kind of information that really interests me. castrapo is a new word for me!I have never been to Northern Spain except Catalunya,and I never realized that logo a gallego word, but, at least to my anglo ear, everyone in Madrid says logo, o hasta log, o ata logo. It's almost as commonly heard as vale (the equivalent of our OK). When hasta logo is said, it sounds amost sung--starting low en ending higher and the last o is heald onto for awhile. ¿hay muchos gallegos en Madrid? I don't much hear the use of logo in andalucia.

Bolboreta March 06, 2009 06:36 AM

Yes! It's really interesting. I had never thought that "hasta luego" in Madrid could sound as "ata logo" to anyone! Languages are incredible! But the truth is that los madrileños hablan entre dientes ;-P, so it is possible.

I am pleased to have shown you a new word.

CrOtALiTo March 06, 2009 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJtacos (Post 28024)
I know lots of ways to greet people. I would like to learn some ways to say goodbye to my patients.
I have heard que te vaya bien (though I am not sure of the exact meaning) to be more polite can I say
que le vaya bien?
I know que tenga un buen dia but what about have a nice evening.
so I would like to be able to say:
take care - have a nice evening - have a nice weekend - and any other common goodbyes

Thanks for your help, Damon.

I can give you some ideas of as you can say the good bye of way more lovely.

Cuidese mucho.

Tenga buen dia.

Cuidese.

Cuidate mucho.

Ten cuidado.

Que dios lo bendiga.

Que le vaya bien.

Que tenga un exelente dia.

Those are way to say good bye at Spanish.

Sincerely yours.