Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Vocabulary (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Leper, or leprosy (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=11067)

Ronnmacc80 June 06, 2011 04:06 PM

Leper, or leprosy

How can you convey this concept in spanish?

I know these words are outdated in modern english, but still appear sometimes. They refer to someone who is badly scarred, crippled, maimed (by an accident or animal attack, etc).

Thanks

Luna Azul June 06, 2011 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnmacc80 (Post 111821)
How can you convey this concept in spanish?

I know these words are outdated in modern english, but still appear sometimes. They refer to someone who is badly scarred, crippled, maimed (by an accident or animal attack, etc).

Thanks

As far as I know, "leper" is "leproso", a person who has a terrible disease called "leprosy" (not leperacy).

By extension it's given to someone who is a social outcast.

In Spanish the normal word is "paria" (pariah), y cada país tiene su propio término para nombrar a este tipo de gente.

aleCcowaN June 06, 2011 05:27 PM

Leper ----> affected by leprosy ---> leproso
Leper ----> avoided by others because of a nasty or unhealthy appearance ---> leproso, sarnoso (mangy)
Leper ----> outcast; ostracized by others ----> paria
crippled, maimed --> lisiado, tullido
crippled (disabled) ---> minusválido, discapacitado motriz
scarred (pockmarks) ---> picado
in rags, dirty ---> roto, desastrado, desharrapado
"badly scarred, crippled, maimed (by an accident or animal attack, etc)"? ---> estar hecho una ruina, estar hecho un desastre, estar hecho una lástima

Sancho Panther June 07, 2011 08:47 AM

There's no such word as leperacy - it's leprosy, and in these enlightened times the use of the word leper is unacceptable, 'leprosy sufferer' is preferred.

Perikles June 07, 2011 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sancho Panther (Post 111864)
There's no such word as leperacy - it's leprosy, and in these enlightned times the use of the word leper is unacceptable, 'leprosy sufferer' is preferred.

Sorry, I don't agree that has anything to do with enlightenment, it has to do with the opposite, a society obsessed by being politically correct on misconceived notions of correctness. So you can no longer call anything by its actual name. I don't subscribe to that. Somebody who suffers from leprosy is still a leper. [:mad:/rant]

aleCcowaN June 07, 2011 10:14 AM

I suppose Sancho said it ironically.

Luna Azul June 07, 2011 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perikles (Post 111866)
Sorry, I don't agree that has anything to do with enlightenment, it has to do with the opposite, a society obsessed by being politically correct on misconceived notions of correctness. So you can no longer call anything by its actual name. I don't subscribe to that. Somebody who suffers from leprosy is still a leper. [:mad:/rant]

I couldn't agree more with you.

AngelicaDeAlquezar June 07, 2011 11:34 AM

This is the age of euphemisms, where some words that have acquired a pejorative charge are better omitted in some environments, so it's good to know that there are population sectors where some expressions are preferred. :)

poli June 07, 2011 11:43 AM

Leprosy(Hansen's disease) is rare these days in the western world, and it's curable with antibiotics. So someone with leprosy is no longer a dreaded incurable leper but rather someone suffering from leprosy. These days, in English,the word leper is a very old-fashioned word that you may hear in archaic bible stories. In contemporary English, it is used metaphorically like pariah dog, and I believe someone wrote earlier in this thread that lepro may be used that same way in Spanish.

Sancho Panther June 08, 2011 04:46 AM

Thank goodness for A.D.A. and poli's breath of intelligent thought, the others we have to assume will still be calling cerebral palsy sufferers "Spastics", Down's syndrome victims "Mongols" and patients with mental health problems "Lunatics".

The term "Leper" is pejorative and further stigmatises those unfortunate enough to be afflicted with it. The disease is mostly found in under-developed countries.

I am amazed that anyone would take the trouble to write in defence of such an ignorant, outdated and repugnant concept. The only feasible explanation I can conceive is linguistic or cultural differences.

I have sought confirmation from the "Oxford English Dictionary", probably the most respected authority on the language, here is their definition:-

"One affected with leprosy; a leprous person.The term is often avoided in medical use because of its connotations".

I have not supplied the link as it requires a paid subscription (or access via membership of a UK public library which I have), but I give you my solemn promise that that is the definition given (copied and pasted). There are other entries of no relevance to this topic.

Merriam Webster Thesaurus

leper

noun
Definition of LEPER

one who is cast out or rejected by society <a convicted child molester who is treated as a leper wherever he goes>Synonyms castaway, castoff, leper, offscouring, pariah, reject
Related Words untouchable; outsider; deportee, exile
Near Antonyms insider

I have consulted more than half a dozen online dictionaries, all without exception define leper as a; sufferer of leprosy and b; social outcast, outsider. Ergo leper is not an acceptable word to describe those who have the misfortune to suffer from leprosy.

I shall not dignify any further counter arguments with a response.