Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Teaching and Learning Techniques (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Who has used the new version of Rosetta Stone? (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=3026)

ZeroTX February 08, 2009 09:17 PM

Who has used the new version of Rosetta Stone?

Hi guys,

I am looking at Rosetta Stone as an option for me and/or my wife for learning Spanish. I might like to try it for another language as well. But, it's pricey... is it worth it?

tacuba February 08, 2009 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeroTX (Post 25553)
Hi guys,

I am looking at Rosetta Stone as an option for me and/or my wife for learning Spanish. I might like to try it for another language as well. But, it's pricey... is it worth it?

You should ask Laepelba, I think she's been using it for awhile. I used it for awhile but I did not like it. It's very professionally produced and very slick, but for whatever reason RS and I just didn't get along that well:>)

But that doesn't mean that you and RS won't get along.

BTW, I think if you go to their site, you can take it for a little test-run.

ZeroTX February 08, 2009 09:29 PM

It looks a little simplistic. Does Level 3 get into advanced vocabulary and subjunctive uses?

literacola February 09, 2009 10:48 AM

It is pretty simplistic. I had to start at about level 2.5 to get to my level (which is still very basic). There is another new product out called Fluenz I believe that has really good reviews on amazon and takes a totally different approach.

ZeroTX February 11, 2009 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by literacola (Post 25600)
It is pretty simplistic. I had to start at about level 2.5 to get to my level (which is still very basic). There is another new product out called Fluenz I believe that has really good reviews on amazon and takes a totally different approach.

Hmm, in that case, nah. I will stick with the other things I'm doing right now :)

laepelba February 15, 2009 03:09 PM

I just discovered this thread. For the record, I took four years of Spanish 20 years ago in college and don't remember very much at all. I started with Rosetta Stone in October and attempt to sit down with it two or three times a week (I've got a lot of other things going on, though, so I don't always get that frequency that I'm looking for...)

For MY learning style and level of Spanish (and I'm a mathematics teacher by training and by profession), it works VERY well. It is completely picture based ... and does NOT have you translating ANYTHING. That is what has me sold on it. I'm not yet to the point where I can handle any changes in verb tenses - everything in the present for now. Given that qualification - the program has helped SO much.

Of course, I'm supplementing it ... with Tomísimo, with some other online things, with listening to music and watching Telemundo, and I have recently found someone to "tutor" me (i.e. someone to sit and have coffee with me for an hour each week while she forces me to speak spanish with her. :D)

Hope that's helpful for anyone else who stumbles upon this thread....

Jackson February 17, 2009 08:59 PM

I have been using RS for Spanish also, however I'd have to agree that it is very, very basic up to level two, and that for the extensive price tag it may not be quite right for anyone who is currently or has had any significant training in Spanish already.

I'll qualify this by saying that it is fantastic when used in conjunction with some basic language curricula to get basics about grammar down and to get some additional vocabulary going. I'm also using the Vistas language material, and I practice vocabulary on my own. In doing this I am trying to learn Spanish the same was I started learning English when I was 8 years old - I had immersion (through going to school in the States with all English-speakers), and I trained also with written material and studied vocabulary extensively. RS provides the immersion, primary-language learning style, while I am able to learn a greater volume of words through more standard study with Vista and my trusty 501.

We will see how it goes :D, but I can say that nothing replaces immersion...

luego,
Jackson

Rusty February 17, 2009 09:05 PM

I agree, nothing beats total immersion.

Based totally on different things you provided in your profile and your post just above, I assume your mother tongue was French (probably Québécois, right?).

Jackson February 21, 2009 02:39 PM

Yep! I'm from Red Lake, Quebec originally.

Zizek March 06, 2009 02:14 PM

I recommend Tell Me More Software

I have been using this software for 9 months and I love it:
http://www.tellmemorestore.com/product.asp?specific=305

I researched Tell Me More and Rosetta Stone before buying and Tell Me More beat RS at every point in my opinion. They have a demo of an older version on the site, but the Performance edition is much better than the demo. It includes all ten levels in one package. I am currently at level 3.5. I can understand a lot of written and spoken Spanish, but I'm not comfortable with forming complex sentences yet.
With the software comes access to a weekly online lesson and tests to gauge your progress as you move through the levels.
The only thing that some people might not like is that the Performance version is Castilian Spanish. When I ordered, however, I whined and they threw in the Latin American dialogue disc from another version for free.
My husband took seven years of Spanish in college and I've had him check out the software to tell me how good it is and he was pleasantly surprised by how thorough it is - he plans on using it to brush up and advance a little further. Plus, it's cheaper than Rosetta Stone @ $370.00 with more levels.
I highly recommend at least checking out the demo. Hope this info is helpful!