Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Vocabulary (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   A Bit of Frivolity (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=11104)

Sancho Panther June 15, 2011 05:32 AM

A Bit of Frivolity

From time to time certain words 'tickle my fancy' and I steer conversations so that I can employ them, in both English and Spanish.

'Chafar' was one (squash), now I like 'cuajar' (thicken up); in English 'pulchritudinous' is good, and so is 'crapulous'. I'm not telling you the meanings, you'll have to look them up. I guarantee they won't mean what you think they mean!

When you've stopped thinking "Get a life" tell us your favourite words!

poli June 15, 2011 06:39 AM

There's a Pervian food called carapulcra. It is mysteriously like Thai food. In case you didn't know, pulcritud is a Spanish cognate for the English pulchritudinous.

Perikles June 15, 2011 08:14 AM

I like the word serendipity. I've just looked it up, and discovered that it used to be the name for Sri Lanka before Ceylon. Now that is what I call serendipity. :rolleyes:

Sancho Panther June 15, 2011 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perikles (Post 112240)
I like the word serendipity. I've just looked it up, and discovered that it used to be the name for Sri Lanka before Ceylon. Now that is what I call serendipity. :rolleyes:

¡Sí - de acuerdo!

Perikles June 18, 2011 07:48 AM

Querétaro, la palabra más bonita del español

Este nombre de ciudad mexicana ha sido elegido como la palabra favorita el día en el que el idioma español está siendo homenajeado en todo el mundo.

El País

aleCcowaN June 18, 2011 08:24 AM

Y eso que la palabra no figura en el diccionario.

Yo hubiera propuesto "Triunvirato y Avenida de los Incas" de la famosa canción patria de Les Luthiers (defensa y victoria, libertad e independencia, Triunvirato y Avenida de los Incas).

Luna Azul June 20, 2011 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perikles (Post 112240)

I was going to mention that word when I saw your post.. :rolleyes:

I've liked "serendipity" since I heard it the first time. The actual name of Sri Lanka was "Serendip" and the English author Horace Walpole coined the word "serendipity" from it.

I'm not sure of how to use it, I never have, but it sounds so good to my ears.. maybe because it sounds "serene"??:o

Perikles June 20, 2011 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luna Azul (Post 112450)
I was going to mention that word when I saw your post..

I'm not sure of how to use it, ....

You could use it just as a noun meaning a happy chance: How did you two manage to meet? I don't know, it was just serendipity I guess. (yes, serene is nice too) :)

Luna Azul June 20, 2011 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perikles (Post 112454)
You could use it just as a noun meaning a happy chance: How did you two manage to meet? I don't know, it was just serendipity I guess. (yes, serene is nice too) :)

My husband and I met .... by serendipity? /due to serendipity? / because of serendipity? :thinking:

It was actually serendipity what made us meet. Interesting and real story..:p

poli June 20, 2011 12:36 PM

Serendipity is also a restaurant in New York. It was a hang out for Andy
Warhol and his friends many decades ago. I think it is now a popular place for tourists who have a lot of money to spend on things that shouldn't be very expensive.