Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Culture (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Ecuador the best and cheapest place to live in the world! (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=5401)

Villa September 17, 2009 12:55 PM

Ecuador the best and cheapest place to live in the world!

Ecuador—Where Anyone Can Afford the High Life

Since they moved to Ecuador, Lee and Peggy Carper haven't been able to spend more than $700 per month…no matter how hard they try. Their apartment is bigger than they need…they never cook (restaurants every day)…they have a maid (and someone else to do the laundry).
Todo esto y el español también.

Jessica September 17, 2009 01:30 PM

that's nice but only I will understand Spanish. my family will have no clue (except maybe my older brother...he knows some Spanish; and my younger one might have learned enough)

pjt33 September 17, 2009 04:31 PM

That's fine. Move to the mountains and learn Quichua instead.

I regret not learning much Quichua while I was there.

Jessica September 17, 2009 05:29 PM

my family has to learn it too, and my parents will have difficulty.

ookami September 17, 2009 10:01 PM

source? what's high life? with 700 per month I can easily live (I'm living with less, with all I want, paying rent and all that stuf, in a expensive neightborhood, without never thinking about money)
Ecuador is beautiful, I'm sure it can be the best place to live. But the other hand of the coin is missing.(can I use this as an expression?)

ROBINDESBOIS September 18, 2009 04:56 AM

And why is half Ecuador living in Madrid, and they don´t want to go back to Ecuador, even the jobless.????????

hermit September 18, 2009 05:48 AM

robin and ookami - i've never been to ecuador, but i do live a rural lifestyle, and it's very inexpensive, yet quite complete.

i've been to madrid, and really liked it there. nevertheless, i know
that no matter how nice the surroundings, "there's no place like home.".
so, for many, i guess madrid has become "home".

hermit

poli September 18, 2009 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ookami (Post 52183)
source? what's high life? with 700 per month I can easily live (I'm living with less, with all I want, paying rent and all that stuf, in a expensive neighborhood, without ever thinking about money)
Ecuador is beautiful, I'm sure it can be the best place to live. But the other hand of the coin is missing.(can I use this as an expression?)

The coin is missing, as an expressoin, doesn't make sense in English.

As a vistor to Argentina, I was surprized how economical
Argentina is, and I'm glad that you as a person living in and not just visiting Argentina feel that way too.

hermit September 18, 2009 06:43 AM

ookami - "the other hand of the coin is missing." would be more natural in
english as "the other side of the coin is missing.".

hermit

ookami September 18, 2009 06:55 AM

-How nice hermit, I like that style of life. I'm sure it's complete, we don't need to much to live really well, the capitalysm try to make us(and it obtains it) think we need a lot.

-Thanks poli, and which would be a good translation for
"La otra cara de la moneda esta faltando." or something like that?

-Yes, but poli, for foreigners this places are very [very] economical because of the change. But it all depends on what is high life for you. I'm living with that, my parents need 5 times that to live as they like/do, for example. If you are a teacher, to win 700u$s you have to work in 4/5 courses, 4 hours a week each(without counting the time to correct tests, travel, prepare the classes, reunions, strikes, etc), at least.

edit:
thanks hermit