Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Grammar (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   When to use the verb "Ser" and when to use "Estar" (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=260)

brute May 22, 2009 04:46 AM

Por favor. ¿Ser o estar con gerundios y participales de pasado? ¿Hay normas faciles?

Soy ....estoy casado Esta muerte ...... ¿Permanente o no?

Tomisimo May 22, 2009 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brute (Post 36872)
Por favor. ¿Ser o estar con gerundios y participales de pasado? ¿Hay normas faciles?

Both soy casado and estoy casado are correct. There is a slight nuance in the meaning though:

Estoy casado = I am married.
Soy casado = I am a married man.

Estoy refers to your state of being married, and soy to your quality of being married.

laughingwithfee June 06, 2009 12:38 PM

Ser vs. Estar

My teacher gave us a formula that really helps:

When using estar, use x versus x, meaning you're comparing (insert whatever it is you're talking about) to itself.

When using ser, use x versus y, meaning you're comparing (insert whatever it is you're talking about) to a set of other things.

Example: Let's say we're talking about Paco. If I want to say that Paco is happy today, I would use estar, because Paco is happy compared to his usual emotional state. I would say, "Paco está feliz."

If I want to say that Paco is a happy person, I would use ser, because Paco is a happy person compared to everyone else. I would say, "Paco es feliz."

I hope this helped.

bobjenkins June 06, 2009 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laughingwithfee (Post 38100)
My teacher gave us a formula that really helps:

When using estar, use x versus x, meaning you're comparing (insert whatever it is you're talking about) to itself.

When using ser, use x versus y, meaning you're comparing (insert whatever it is you're talking about) to a set of other things.

Example: Let's say we're talking about Paco. If I want to say that Paco is happy today, I would use estar, because Paco is happy compared to his usual emotional state. I would say, "Paco está feliz."

If I want to say that Paco is a happy person, I would use ser, because Paco is a happy person compared to everyone else. I would say, "Paco es feliz."

I hope this helped.

Gracias por la manera nueva:)

laughingwithfee June 06, 2009 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobjenkins (Post 38111)
Gracias por la manera nueva:)

De nada. Estoy encantada de poder ayudarte.

ROBINDESBOIS July 25, 2009 04:37 AM

VEry good Tomisimo

laepelba July 25, 2009 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brute (Post 36872)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomisimo (Post 36896)
Both soy casado and estoy casado are correct. There is a slight nuance in the meaning though:

Estoy casado = I am married.
Soy casado = I am a married man.

Estoy refers to your state of being married, and soy to your quality of being married.

David - first of all, I like this thread ... I struggle with ser & estar ... and this helps.

Second, I appreciate your answer to his question about "soy/estoy casado". But what about his question about "esta muerte"? Would it ever be "está" with muerte? Or would it always be "es"? I mean, how can one be temporarily dead?

irmamar July 25, 2009 08:54 AM

It is not "está muerte" (muerte means death), but "está muerto" (dead).

I'll never say "soy casada", but "estoy casada", not in modern Spanish Spain, at least.

AngelicaDeAlquezar July 25, 2009 10:02 AM

@Lou Ann: David is right about "ser/estar casado". In Mexico is equally frequent to say one or the other.

--¿Ya conociste al nuevo gerente? (Have you met the new manager?)
--Sí, ¿sabes si es casado? / ¿crees que esté casado? (Yes, do you know/believe he's married?)

As for "estar muerto", "estar" is the right choice most of the times.
"Ser muerto" would mean some kind of zombie or so.

El médico no pudo hacer nada por Juan. Está muerto.
The doctor couldn't do anything for Juan. He's dead.

Someone joking in a graveyard:
¡Soy un muerto que sale de su tumba! ¡BU!
I'm a deadman coming out of his grave! BOO!

irmamar July 25, 2009 03:33 PM

Well, not in Spain. La gente está casada, no es casada. Yo he oído "es casado" a gente muy mayor, quizá era antes, cuando no existía el divorcio. Ahora la gente está casada, soltera, divorciada, separada o viuda. Pero está, no es. Digo en mi país. :) . De hecho, a esto se denomina "estado civil".