Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Vocabulary (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   To ban, to ban a user (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=5088)

Tomisimo August 19, 2009 10:25 AM

To ban, to ban a user

I'd like to know if any of you have an opinion as to the best translation for banning, in the context of a website. The two verbs that come to mind are expulsar and excluir.

banning = exclusión, expulsión
to ban = excluir, expulsar

Which is the better of these two options, or can you think of a better term?

Mil gracias. :)

irmamar August 19, 2009 10:33 AM

The most common word we use in Spain is an anglicism, we say "banear" (you can look for "banear" in a searcher and you'll see a lot of entries, although this term is not "good Spanish" at all)

poli August 19, 2009 11:21 AM

I'm a non-native Spanish speaker, so I could certainly be wrong, but
I would say prohibición

irmamar August 19, 2009 11:24 AM

You can say both "prohibir" or "expulsar", even "restringir", but I said the common word used in Spanish forums. :)

poli August 19, 2009 11:34 AM

Oh I see what you mean. In computer lingo, banear is the word, but I know that's Spanglish.
Ban=prohibit in English. The government has banned (or prohibited) the use of DDT.
The book is banned (or prohibited) in Iran.
I you hear the following:
El gobierno baneó es uso de DDT
o
Iran baneó el libro?

irmamar August 19, 2009 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poli (Post 46780)
Oh I see what you mean. In computer lingo, banear is the word, but I know that's Spanglish.
Ban=prohibit in English. The government has banned (or prohibited) the use of DDT.
The book is banned (or prohibited) in Iran.
I you hear the following:
El gobierno baneó es uso de DDT
o
Iran baneó el libro?

In these cases we'd use "prohibir":

El gobierno prohibió el uso de tal sustancia o determinado libro.

"Banear" is only used in forums or web sites. I wouldn't say that it's "Spanglish", since Spanglish doesn't exist in Spain, it's just an Anglicism:

Este usuario ha sido baneado del foro.

I know that it's not a correct word, but it's used, just like "post". We use post instead of "mensaje" very often. Although I know they are Anglicisms, I can't avoid their use, they're too frequent. Maybe I should avoid, but... :thinking:

María José August 19, 2009 12:26 PM

To ban can be translated as prohibir la entrada, but I guess it's not a good option when talking about forums.

AngelicaDeAlquezar August 19, 2009 01:13 PM

Para excluir a un usuario de un foro, yo usaría "expulsar", para una prohibición permanente; para una temporal, "suspender" (como en la escuela). :)

irmamar August 19, 2009 01:33 PM

Sí, supongo que es lo más correcto. ¿No usáis vosotros "banear"?

María José August 19, 2009 02:01 PM

Yo nunca lo había oído.