Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   San Diego Residents - Anyone want to chat? (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=803)

bleitzow October 31, 2007 03:53 PM

San Diego Residents - Anyone want to chat?

Hi there!

I was wondering if there is anyone out there (or if you know someone) who lives in the San Diego (California) area that might be willing to practice speaking Spanish with me.

I can read it and write it quite well. I need practice hearing it, and then responding. I also need practice forming my own sentences rather than just repeating the ones I've learned in my lessons.

If you're interested, please send me a private message.

Thanks! :rolleyes:

Tomisimo November 01, 2007 12:09 PM

I don't know if there's anyone else on the forums from S.D. I used to know someone on another forum from San Diego, who spoke a bit of Spanish. :(

I'll have to think up some nifty plan to get some more people from San Diego signed up for the forums. :D

bleitzow November 01, 2007 01:49 PM

San Diego Residents

That would be great. I've been watching Spanish TV out here and I'm picking up words here and there. I understand a lot more than I used to but I still have a long way to go.

I get nervous when I try to talk to people. I know what I want to say, and I know I know the words, but when it comes to opening my mouth, everything goes out the window.

Tomisimo November 02, 2007 09:26 AM

When I was in college, I formed a Spanish study group. We met at a local restaurant for a couple of hours a week. If you've got a university nearby, you might be able to do something similar. It might take some work to get it going, but here's what I would do. First get one friend who is also learning Spanish to commit to going with you to the restaurant every week. (That way you'll never be alone there), then print up some simple flyers, and go to the uni and get permission to post them. Also go to the foreign languages department and ask permission to leave one in each Spanish teacherĀ“s inbox (with a note, that they can tell their students about it.).

You'll be amazed at what you can learn. If you only get 2 or 3 students to go, they will probably be the most motivated ones, and together you'll all get more practice. Even when you have to explain some grammatical point to someone else, it will help solidify what you're learning.

That's just an idea, if you want to take it and run with it :)

bleitzow November 02, 2007 10:30 AM

San Diego Residents

That is an awesome idea! I don't know anyone else learning Spanish right now but I could probably talk my Mexican friend or my sister-in-law into going. She took Spanish a while back but has forgotten a lot of it. I think she enjoys it, she just didn't have anyone to talk to. Now she's got me! Thank you so much for the idea. I will let you know what happens.

Tomisimo November 02, 2007 12:17 PM

Glad you like the idea. When I did it, it was slow going at first, but after it caught on, we had a great time for about 2 years. I wish I could find one of the flyers I made to show you. If you do decide to go for it, be sure to let us know how it works out. You could even post a notice here on the off-chance that there's someone else from San Diego who wants to go. :)