Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   When does one become "happy" with his knowledge in regards to language learning? (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=19775)

Liquinn3 May 09, 2015 09:59 AM

When does one become "happy" with his knowledge in regards to language learning?

When does one become "happy" with his knowledge in regards to language learning?

Glen May 09, 2015 04:22 PM

At least for me, when I can hold a conversation on a more than superficial level with a native-born speaker

ChrisM May 31, 2015 08:10 AM

I'd agree with Glen, but - progress is progress. Language learning is far from easy, and no-one should underestimate their achievements so far, nor undervalue it. It's one of the few things these days that defies the quick fix, magic bullet philosophy.

Glen May 31, 2015 06:28 PM

ChrisM is right. Each step forward calls for a happy celebration.

Liquinn3 June 01, 2015 10:00 AM

Is it me or does being a language learning (learning Spanish) feel less impressive when around native speakers? Why is this?

Nicolás June 02, 2015 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liquinn3 (Post 155095)
Is it me or does being a language learning (learning Spanish) feel less impressive when around native speakers? Why is this?

You should not feel that being a learner around a native speaker is less impressive. Instead you should think that you are actually learning another language, which in itself is quite impressive. Think about all those people who never learn any other language than their native language, you are way ahead of them already.

Liquinn3 June 02, 2015 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicolás (Post 155112)
You should not feel that being a learner around a native speaker is less impressive. Instead you should think that you are actually learning another language, which in itself is quite impressive. Think about all those people who never learn any other language than their native language, you are way ahead of them already.

Ah, around 99% of English speakers I know more languages whereas some Spanish natives could know Spanish and English (however, there's a Catalan/Spanish native) in Barcelona I know who only speaks Catalan and Spanish.

Ramona Sawred June 30, 2015 05:56 PM

It's a tough question. I'm really happy with my progress some days. Then feel like I've not learned much at all other days.

Liquinn3 July 06, 2015 06:10 AM

A Spanish speaker said I should be happy with my Spanish and I speak well but it's just not the same as being native... I guess it will never will be.

ChrisM January 18, 2017 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liquinn3 (Post 155510)
A Spanish speaker said I should be happy with my Spanish and I speak well but it's just not the same as being native... I guess it will never will be.

I work with a Spaniard who has lived in England for over 20 years. He still has a thick Spanish accent and occasionally, he struggles with finding the word(s) in English. When I said to him about learning a Castellano accent rather than Latin American, he said why bother? They'll know you're foreign either way.

This is in no way discouraging rather, a reflection of the challenge and an acknowledgement of how impressive it is we all speak a second language to whatever degree of proficiency. It's fantastic! :thumbsup: