Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Vocabulary (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Unusual translation (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=18619)

MRbluecrayon August 14, 2014 05:24 PM

Unusual translation

I am currently learning Spanish and in an attempt to do so I have being going on to spanish newspaper websites and trying to translate some of their headlines and articles ect..ect. Then I came across this unusual sentence that I just cannot get my head around. I'm far from fluent in spanish and I really hope that my translating app has not failed me, but the spanish sentence was (or part of a sentence, should I say)
"Se está realizando de manera" which means "is doing so"
Now, i am aware that combinations of different words can manipulate sentences but it really baffled me.
On my translater:
se=is
Está=is it
Realizando=performing
De=of (i know de means a lot more than that as well but it doesn't change much)
Manera=way

How can "is, it is, performing, of and way" all come together to make the sentence "is doing so"?

All those words in a sentence just does not make sense, can someone help please?

poli August 14, 2014 06:11 PM

This is an incomplete phrase. It says : is materializing in way (manner) of...

Julvenzor August 14, 2014 06:48 PM

We need a complete sentence in order to offer an accurate answer. Basically, it's a "pasiva refleja", a form of passive which doesn't exist in English and, therefore, you must learn by comparison.

More or less:

se + verbo en 3ª persona indicativo = ser + participio

Se habla español = español es hablado
Se vende = es vendido

An English passive may be translated into a "pasiva perifrástica" (it works equal to English), "pasiva refleja" (above) or a "activa inversa" (below).

I was said that... = Fui dicho que [it's "correct", but not idiomatic] = Me dijeron que

A plasure.

chileno August 14, 2014 07:13 PM

Quote:

I am currently learning Spanish and in an attempt to do so I have being going on to spanish newspaper websites and trying to translate some of their headlines and articles ect..ect. Then I came across this unusual sentence that I just cannot get my head around. I'm far from fluent in spanish and I really hope that my translating app has not failed me, but the spanish sentence was (or part of a sentence, should I say)
"Se está realizando de manera" which means "is doing so"
Now, i am aware that combinations of different words can manipulate sentences but it really baffled me.
On my translater:
se=is
Está=is it
Realizando=performing
De=of (i know de means a lot more than that as well but it doesn't change much)
Manera=way

How can "is, it is, performing, of and way" all come together to make the sentence "is doing so"?

All those words in a sentence just does not make sense, can someone help please?
Because the translation is not "is doing so" but "... is being carried out in a/such way..."

Although you have the correct approach to translate from Spanish to English. Please don't translate articles. They are too short. Translate a 400-600 pages novel. Pretty soon context will play a key role on understanding the novel fully. ;)

By the time you finish that amount of pages you will not have much problems in understanding Spanish. Now if you write in Spanish first what you are going to translate to English, you will have the added benefit that upon ending that amount of pages (with a story line ie:novel) you will also write in Spanish and not know why the phrase/sentence is written that way, but you know it is correct. You will be right most of the time you compose something in Spanish.

That's the practice everybody should be getting!

pinosilano August 15, 2014 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chileno (Post 151020)

That's the practice everybody should be getting!

Y que, por supuesto, vale para todos los idiomas.:rolleyes:
El lenguage periodístico no sirve mucho para iniciar a aprender idiomas.
Las crónicas deportivas, peor que andar de noche.:eek:

chileno August 15, 2014 08:01 AM

Aunque peor es nada. :)

Glen August 15, 2014 06:26 PM

Welcome to the forum MRbluecrayon, and I admire your dedication to learning. I've done much the same myself. They say it's possible to learn from a bad translation as well as from a good one if it motivates you to learn to recognize the difference. Good Luck!

pinosilano August 26, 2014 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chileno (Post 151023)
Aunque peor es nada. :)

Sugiero un foro especial para 'el lenguaje' deportivo.:dancingman: