Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Daily Spanish Word (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Mancha (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=4429)

DailyWord July 02, 2009 03:25 AM

Mancha

This is a discussion thread for the Daily Spanish Word for July 2, 2009

mancha (feminine noun (la)) — stain, spot, blemish. Look up mancha in the dictionary

Esta mancha en tu camisa no se va a poder quitar.
This stain on your shirt is not going to come out.

irmamar July 02, 2009 12:08 PM

También equivale a 'deshonra':

Esto que has hecho será una mancha en tu expediente.

brute July 02, 2009 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DailyWord (Post 40805)
This is a discussion thread for the Daily Spanish Word for July 2, 2009

mancha (feminine noun (la)) — stain, spot, blemish. Look up mancha in the dictionary

Esta mancha en tu camisa no se va a poder quitar.
This stain on your shirt is not going to come out.

"El Canal de la Mancha" is the English Channel, which the French call La Manche.
This is also the Frech word for Sleeve.
I always thought that the Channel was so called because it resembles a sleeve or una manga.

I think the Spanish should change the name to El Canal de la Manga, because this beautiful stretch of water is
definitely not "a blot on the landscape", or seascape for that matter!!!:mad::mad::mad:

poli July 02, 2009 12:50 PM

Yes you can use stain that way.
example: His robbery conviction will surely stain his reputation as police officer.

Ambarina July 02, 2009 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brute (Post 40865)
"El Canal de la Mancha" is the English Channel, which the French call La Manche.
This is also the Frech word for Sleeve.
I always thought that the Channel was so called because it resembles a sleeve or una manga.

I think the Spanish should change the name to El Canal de la Manga, because this beautiful stretch of water is
definitely not "a blot on the landscape", or seascape for that matter!!!:mad::mad::mad:

But mancha like stain is not necessarily negative. Certain stains can create great effects and stained glass windows are beautiful.

The most probable reason for The Channel being called Canal de la Mancha is that Manche looks like Mancha.

And what about La Mancha in Spain? I don't think it's called that because it's considered a blot on the landscape. Perhaps it refers to the RAE's 3rd definition of the word, i.e. Pedazo de terreno que se distingue de los inmediatos por alguna cualidad.:)

brute July 02, 2009 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poli (Post 40866)
Yes you can use stain that way.
example: His robbery conviction will surely stain his reputation as police officer.

Besmirch is a lovely alternative.

brute July 02, 2009 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ambarina (Post 40873)
But mancha like stain is not necessarily negative. Certain stains can create great effects and stained glass windows are beautiful.

The most probable reason for The Channel being called Canal de la Mancha is that Manche looks like Mancha.

And what about La Mancha in Spain? I don't think it's called that because it's considered a blot on the landscape. Perhaps it refers to the RAE's 3rd definition of the word, i.e. Pedazo de terreno que se distingue de los inmediatos por alguna cualidad.:)

Cierto. Vidrieras de colores son muy preciosas. Pero,hay un problema con la tercera definición. La Canal de la Mancha es un ¡pedazo de mar!

Pienso que las palabras Mancha y Manche son falsos amigos entre francés y español.

CrOtALiTo July 02, 2009 05:22 PM

I can use the word Stain in this sentence.

She has stained her reputation in the job, because she has stole money.

poli July 02, 2009 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo (Post 40885)
I can use the word Stain in this sentence.

She has stained her reputation in the job, because she has stole money.:good:yes that's right

also: He stained his shirt eating watermelon.

CrOtALiTo July 02, 2009 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poli (Post 40896)
also: He stained his shirt eating watermelon.

Perfect.

Thank you.