Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Culture (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Hag Syndrome (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=777)

Elaina October 25, 2007 07:30 AM

Hag Syndrome

Hi All!

Has anyone ever heard of "The Hag Syndrome"?

Este síndrome supuestamente es muy conocido por muchas personas pero cuando lo describen dicen que sienten que "se les sube un espiritu que no los deja mover". Esto ocurre mayormente en la noche cuando uno despierta de un sueño muy profundo.

Me gustaría saber si alguien ha escuchado de esto. Como se llamará este síndrome en Español?

Elaina:confused:

Tomisimo October 26, 2007 12:15 PM

Hmm I've never heard of it before, and wouldn't know how to say it in Spanish. Maybe something as simple as flojera?

anthony October 26, 2007 04:03 PM

I've never heard of it either. Can you explain it again? I'm not sure I understood the Spanish of what it means.

Elaina October 27, 2007 09:59 AM

Hey Anthony:

Well, here it goes......

Supposedly, a person will be sleeping without a problem and then in the middle of the night they will feel as if though something heavy has been placed on their chest or maybe "someone" just sat on their chest. They have trouble breathing, they are not able to move, they feel something "evil" or maybe an evil spirit is trying to take over their body, they can't move or talk or scream. They are "supposedly" conscious and aware of where they are and stuff but they are not able to utter a sound.

I am a medical interpreter and I have heard many Spanish-speaking patients talk about this. The only thing I could come up with, in English, was the Hag Syndrome.

Have you ever heard of it or know what I am talking about? At first I thought people were talking of some sort of witchcraft or something.... scary:eek:......

Let me know what you think.

Elaina;)

Inquirer October 27, 2007 10:12 AM

I've never heard of anything like this before either. The Spanish-speakers didn't have a name for it either? or did they just describe it?

sosia October 28, 2007 04:24 PM

"la subida del muerto" (Old Hag) extraído de parálisis del sueño

espero que te sirva
Saludos :D

Julie October 28, 2007 06:11 PM

I have heard of this phenomena many times in the past year or so but never heard it described as Hag Syndrome, or really by any term. Mainly I've heard of it being experienced in "haunted" houses or places that have alot of history. Scary!!!

WMX October 28, 2007 08:09 PM

Speaking of the hag syndrome..... faltan 3 dias a halloween. :eek:

sosia October 29, 2007 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WMX (Post 4263)
Speaking of the hag syndrome..... faltan 3 dias a halloween. :eek:

"faltan 3 días para Halloween"
Saludos :D

Elaina October 29, 2007 08:36 AM

Gracias todos!!

Una Sra. me dijo que eso pasa solo cuando "se le sube un espiritu maligno a alguien".

Quizá la "subida del muerto" sea lo mas apropiado para usar.

I guess I'll have to go with that ... unfortunately there is nothing medical you can do for/about this.

Gracias de nuevo.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

Elaina:eek: