Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Culture (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Qué onda?!Mexican Spanish vs Spanish from Spain and Spanish from Latin America (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=7570)

Villa April 06, 2010 04:50 PM

Qué onda?!Mexican Spanish vs Spanish from Spain and Spanish from Latin America

How does your dialect of Spanish compare to Mexican Spanish?
Here in California we have Hispanics from all 21 Spanish speaking countries including some
200,000 Cubans, muchos Salvadoreños, Central Americans in general and many from South
America but most are Mexicans with their brand of Spanish which is the norm. Most of the
people from other Spanish speaking countries here in California learn Mexican Spanish. Many
Latin Americans marry Mexicans or have Mexican members in their family. For example a couple
from Ecuador I know have both of their childrenmarried to Mexicans. The Mexicans also learn
how the other Spanish speakers speak even if they don't use their particular expressions.

The following are an example of Mexican Spanish or Mexican slang. Do you understand them?
How is your dialect of Spanish different?Pardon the language on some of them but it's all for
educations purposes.Not suggesting you use some of the more colorful terms. (Note that any
educated Mexican can speak standard Spanish as well as anybody else in the Hispanic world.)

¡Andale pues! ¡Híjole! ¡Orale! Qué dismadre! ¡Me vale! ¡Un chingo de cosas! ¡Ni modo!
Esta música está muy padre. El chamaco está cortando el zacate. Quita tu pince cara de aquí!
Chinga tu pinche madre! Es una guera muy guapa. Voy a nadar en la alberca ahorita. Necesito
un popote. Ese chango. Orale güey! No le hace. ¡Pinche cabrón! ¡Carajo! El me cae sangrón.
Baboso. El burro hablando de orejas. El me cae gordo. Mamacita, que buena esta usted!
No hay bronca. Tu eres mi cuate. Pendejo. atole, elote, guacamole, mole, pozole, tequila,
milpa, jitomate, aguacate, cacahuate, camote, chile, capulin, mecae, papalote,

Yo como menudo a menudo.

The verb coger in Mexico means to make love or have sex. (f*ck pues) In Cuba coger is simply
the verb for "take" in English. In Mexico they use the verb agarrar for coger. Coger is like "screw"
in English for Mexicans. It can be quite comical when Cubans and Mexicans get together.

poli April 06, 2010 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villa (Post 78680)
How does your dialect of Spanish compare to Mexican Spanish?
Here in California we have Hispanics from all 21 Spanish speaking countries including some
200,000 Cubans, muchos Salvadoreños, Central Americans in general and many from South
America but most are Mexicans with their brand of Spanish which is the norm. Most of the
people from other Spanish speaking countries here in California learn Mexican Spanish. Many
Latin Americans marry Mexicans or have Mexican members in their family. For example a couple
from Ecuador I know have both of their childrenmarried to Mexicans. The Mexicans also learn
how the other Spanish speakers speak even if they don't use their particular expressions.

The following are an example of Mexican Spanish or Mexican slang. Do you understand them?
How is your dialect of Spanish different?Pardon the language on some of them but it's all for
educations purposes.Not suggesting you use some of the more colorful terms. (Note that any
educated Mexican can speak standard Spanish as well as anybody else in the Hispanic world.)

¡Andale pues! ¡Híjole! ¡Orale! Qué dismadre! ¡Me vale! ¡Un chingo de cosas! ¡Ni modo!
Esta música está muy padre. El chamaco está cortando el zacate. Quita tu pince cara de aquí!
Chinga tu pinche madre! Es una guera muy guapa. Voy a nadar en la alberca ahorita. Necesito
un popote. Ese chango. Orale güey! No le hace. ¡Pinche cabrón! ¡Carajo! El me cae sangrón.
Baboso. El burro hablando de orejas. El me cae gordo. Mamacita, que buena esta usted!
No hay bronca. Tu eres mi cuate. Pendejo. atole, elote, guacamole, mole, pozole, tequila,
milpa, jitomate, aguacate, cacahuate, camote, chile, capulin, mecae, papalote,

Yo como menudo a menudo.

The verb coger in Mexico means to make love or have sex. (f*ck pues) In Cuba coger is simply
the verb for "take" in English. In Mexico they use the verb agarrar for coger. Coger is like "screw"
in English for Mexicans. It can be quite comical when Cubans and Mexicans get together.

Some of those expressions and words are internationally known among
Spanish speakers. Where I am from the predominant Spanish spoken is from the Caribbean. Each island has its individual accent and their own "bad words" which sometimes cause misunderstandings that can be funny but may provoke fights (papaya is tropical fruit in Puerto rico but not in Cuba unless you're being metaphorical;). Papo is a respectful term for a mature man in Santo Domingo, but not in Coastal Colombia. In coastal Colombia chicha is a cooling drink, but not in Puerto Rico). THere are hundreds of thousands of Mexicans too--many of whom stick to themselves. It's fun to identify accents.

Villa April 06, 2010 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poli (Post 78685)
Some of those expressions and words are internationally known among
Spanish speakers. Where I am from the predominant Spanish spoken is from the Caribbean.
Each island has its individual accent and their own "bad words" which sometimes cause
misunderstandings that can be funny but may provoke fights (papaya is tropical fruit in
Puerto rico but not in Cuba unless you're being metaphorical;). Papo is a respectful term
for a mature man in Santo Domingo, but not in Coastal Colombia. In coastal Colombia chicha
is a cooling drink, but not in Puerto Rico). THere are hundreds of thousands of Mexicans too--many
of whom stick to themselves. It's fun to identify accents.

Muy interesante poli. Dialects are what most interest me. In Cuba Concha is a girls name.
In Argentina concha mean pussy.

By the way. I've been to Cuba two times and have been dealing with Cubans for casi 40 años.
It's amazing how different the Cubans from Havana speak compared to the Cubans in Oriente
the other extreme of the island.(Cuba is 600 miles long.)The accent is surprisingly diferente
as our some expressions. Para ejemplo in oriente papaya does not mean pussy as it does in
La Havana and probablemente half or more of Cuba.

chileno April 06, 2010 08:46 PM

Concha is the alias or short for Concepción, a girl's name. In Spain and everywhere else, that i know of.

Concha also means some other things. :-)

explorator April 07, 2010 02:56 AM

I've herard Mexican speakers a Spanish extremely similar to ours, it only differed slightly in entonation and of course in the pronunciation of c/z. About the phrases you wrote, I can understand some words, but I make no sense of most of them. Probably you won't be able to understand some slang phrases used mostly by young people, military (mainly at the Legion), or lower class people eg: "encalamé el raca allí", "me han cicuatado el peluco", or the probably most frecuent young people expresión "guay".

PS: Nowadays we have here a lot of American-Spanish speakers living in Spain, and we have learned that we should not use the verb "coger", in front of them. It is very funy becouse for us that verb is absolutely neutral. Something similar happens with the word "concha", by the way a very common female name here in Spain.

irmamar April 07, 2010 04:00 AM

I wouldn't use "coger" in their country (conciously :thinking: ), but I use this word in mine (¡faltaría más!). They must know that this verb is commonly used here with the sense of "take". I work with two Venezuelan people and although they say "agarrar", I always tell them "coger". I can learn others' way of speaking, but it's a mistake to change my own way (in my opinion). :)

Villa April 08, 2010 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irmamar (Post 78705)
I wouldn't use "coger" in their country (conciously :thinking: ), but I use this word in mine (¡faltaría más!). They must know that this verb is commonly used here with the sense of "take". I work with two Venezuelan people and although they say "agarrar", I always tell them "coger". I can learn others' way of speaking, but it's a mistake to change my own way (in my opinion). :)

Cuando estes en Roma haga como los Romanos. When in Rome do as the Romans do. When I'm with
Mexicans I try to talk like them. When I'm with Cubans or anyother Hispanic people I try to talk
like them. It's about being bi-dialectical or multi-dialectical.