Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Vocabulary (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Every 60 seconds on the hour (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=8367)

JPablo June 30, 2010 05:56 AM

Every 60 seconds on the hour

If something happens every 60 seconds on the hour, what does that mean exactly? :thinking:
Does it mean that it's happening every minute during that hour? :hmm:

chileno June 30, 2010 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPablo (Post 87501)
If something happens every 60 seconds on the hour, what does that mean exactly? :thinking:

Never heard it like that. Maybe "every 60 minutes, on the hour"

"on the hour" = en punto.

JPablo June 30, 2010 07:14 AM

:hmm:Per the context I have, seems to mean that someone logs into an internet domain every 60 seconds constantly throughout the hour. That is, every minute there is a new person logging in... Would that make sense? (Do the English native speakers understand something else?) (Or am I wrong altogether?) (It wouldn't be the first time, nor the last one... Beginning to know one doesn't know is not a lesson on humbleness... but one of wisdom... if you allow me to quote some authoritative source...) :)

Perikles June 30, 2010 10:20 AM

Quote:

on the hour means exactly when that hour starts. So that something starts happening at exactly 10.00 and continues for 60 seconds until 10.01. This repeats itself 59 minutes later. :)

Edit: Often used for bus and train times: Buses for destination X leave every twenty minutes starting on the hour, i.e. 10.00; 10.20; 10.40; 11.00 ......

or: Buses for destination X leave every twenty minutes starting five minutes past the hour, i.e. 10.05; 10.25; 10.45; 11.05 ...

chileno June 30, 2010 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPablo (Post 87524)
:hmm:Per the context I have, seems to mean that someone logs into an internet domain every 60 seconds constantly throughout the hour. That is, every minute there is a new person logging in... Would that make sense? (Do the English native speakers understand something else?) (Or am I wrong altogether?) (It wouldn't be the first time, nor the last one... Beginning to know one doesn't know is not a lesson on humbleness... but one of wisdom... if you allow me to quote some authoritative source...) :)

Yes, but maybe you wanna use "on the dot" which is different than "on the hour", the latter is used like Perikles just explained.

CrOtALiTo June 30, 2010 10:31 AM

Quote:

Every 60 seconds in a hour can happen a lot off things.
I mean it could means a bad aptitude an accident, a person who die.

Every 60 second inside of a hour born a new people in the world.
Every 60 second of a hour a nation has conflicts with another country.

It's some dramatic right.:confused:

chileno June 30, 2010 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo (Post 87548)
Every 60 seconds in a hour can happen a lot off things.
I mean it could means a bad aptitude an accident, a person who die.

Every 60 second inside of a hour born a new people in the world.
Every 60 second of a hour a nation has conflicts with another country.

It's some dramatic right.:confused:

Ok. En castellano.

¿Suena bien esto?

Cada 60 segundos de una hora nace un bebé

¿O suena mejor?

Cada minuto de una hora nace un bebé

JPablo June 30, 2010 11:03 AM

Me suena mejor "cada minuto de una hora nace un bebé".
Well, thank you, Perikles, for the explanation. Thank, Crotalito, and thank you again, Chileno. :)

wafflestomp June 30, 2010 11:56 AM

I've never heard such a saying... every minute of an hour sounds a lot better to me than the thread title.

Perikles June 30, 2010 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wafflestomp (Post 87566)
I've never heard such a saying... every minute of an hour sounds a lot better to me than the thread title.

Perhaps it sounds better, but it means something entirely different. :)