Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Culture (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   St. Valentine's (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=10242)

ROBINDESBOIS February 14, 2011 03:04 PM

St. Valentine's

What can you tell me about St Valentine?
What kind of questions are good for debate?

irmamar February 15, 2011 12:26 AM

In Spain it is said that this day is imported from the USA. :thinking: (I better won't say what it is said here, in Catalonia :rolleyes: ). In fact, I don't know. :)

Perikles February 15, 2011 02:50 AM

The first known English reference to Valentine is in this love letter, 500 years ago.

CrOtALiTo February 15, 2011 07:35 AM

How much love you have for me?

Here in Mexico all the couples get out to the street with his girlfriend and boyfriend love them together and the loves will win.

What kind to question are your looking for?

Perikles February 15, 2011 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo (Post 105444)
Here in Mexico all the couples get out to the street with his girlfriend and boyfriend love them together

Sounds good. Do you have a video?

LibraryLady February 15, 2011 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perikles (Post 105445)

:lol:

AngelicaDeAlquezar February 15, 2011 09:51 AM

@Perikles: :lol:
But you'd be disappointed... they just go out hand in hand. :D

CrOtALiTo February 15, 2011 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perikles (Post 105445)

Do you want an evidence?

Do you want to watch something forbidden hahahahaha:)

Yes I have it.

Elaina February 15, 2011 02:17 PM

Saint Valentine, according to romantic legend, was a kind-hearted Roman priest who married young couples against the wishes of Emperor Claudius II, and was beheaded for his deeds on the 14th of February. In truth, the exact origins and identity of St. Valentine are unclear. According to the Catholic Encyclopedia, "At least three different Saint Valentines, all of them martyrs, are mentioned in the early martyrologies under the date of 14 February." Two of these men lived in the third century A.D., one being the bishop of Interamna (now Terni, Italy) and the other a priest of Rome. (Some speculate that these two figures were actually the same man.) Both seem to have been persecuted for their beliefs; the Roman priest reportedly was beaten and then beheaded on the orders of Emperor Claudius II, on or about the year 270. Legends vary on how the martyr's name became connected with romance: the date of his death may have become mingled with the feast of Lupercalia, a pagan festival of love, or with the ancient belief that birds first mate in the middle of February. In modern times Valentine's Day is a day of special romantic sentiment and gift-giving among lovers.

Excerpt from Who2

pjt33 February 15, 2011 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perikles (Post 105415)
The first known English reference to Valentine is in this love letter, 500 years ago.

You don't count Chaucer's Parlement of Foules as English? Fair enough. ;p