Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Grammar (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   la diferencia entre los verbos venir e ir (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=1057)

Alfonso April 10, 2008 11:33 AM

I think the regional variations you wrote about are really interesting, Elaina.
Anyway, the only point I wanted to remark is the nuance of companionship that can be conveyed with the verb venir.
I know the thread grew up too much for this simple concept. But the path was worth.

Tomisimo April 16, 2008 12:21 AM

For me from the west coast:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elaina (Post 6635)
In the South - Can you lend/loan me your book? :good:
In the Midwest - Can you borrow me your book? :bad:
Can I borrow your book? :good:

In the South - drinking water fountain :bad:
In the Midwest - water bubbler :bad:
drinking fountain :good:

So I'm thinking maybe, just maybe......in some parts of the US you say, Will you go with me? and in some other parts you say, Will you come with me?

Language can be very confusing but interesting at the same time!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfonso (Post 6656)
I think the regional variations you wrote about are really interesting, Elaina.
Anyway, the only point I wanted to remark is the nuance of companionship that can be conveyed with the verb venir.
I know the thread grew up too much for this simple concept. But it was worth it.

I don't have a native speaker to ask at the moment, but I'm pretty sure that in Mexico, it's much more common to say Voy ..., ¿vas conmigo? than to say Voy ..., ¿vienes conmigo? I'm going to make a mental note to ask for a few more opinions.

anarsynd September 12, 2010 01:46 PM

In Chile, people I've talked to don't use "Voy a la fiesta. ¿Vienes conmigo?". They think the only correct way is to use "ir" if you're not where the party will take place at the moment of asking the question.

LibraryLady September 12, 2010 06:36 PM

For me, as another midwesterner...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elaina (Post 6635)
I am thinking it is the nuances in vocabulary depending on where you are living that is getting me confused....for example:

In the South - you loan
In the Midwest - you borrow
Both are used because they mean two different things. If you are loaning something you are temporarily giving someone something. If you are borrowing something you are receiving that which is being loaned.

for example:
In the South - Can you lend me your book?
In the Midwest - Can you borrow me your book?
I would never said nor have I heard "Can you borrow me your book?"
Personally, I would prefer to say "may I borrow your book" over "can you lend me your book."

In the South - drinking water fountain
In the Midwest - water bubbler
I have only ever heard it called a "water fountain" or a "drinking fountain" not a water bubbler.