Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Vocabulary (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   "Missed Hitting" (an Object)/Barely Missed (an Object) (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=23589)

Bobbert January 23, 2019 10:00 PM

"Missed Hitting" (an Object)/Barely Missed (an Object)

How do you say "Missed hitting" (an object) as in almost hitting something, but it didn't actually hit it. It missed hitting the object. It barely missed the object:

erró golpear?? erró golpeando?? erró al golpear?? falló golpear?? falló golpeando?? falló al golpear??

The awning fell apart in the wind, and the iron rod barely missed hitting the van/barely missed the van parked at the edge of the sidewalk.

El toldo se desbarató en el viento, y la vara de hierro apenas erró golpear?? la camioneta estacionado junto al borde de la acera.

The stone just missed hitting me/barely missed me.

La piedra acaba de errar golpearme??

As always, all input, suggestions, and explanations as to how to say the above sentences is appreciated.

Rusty January 23, 2019 11:11 PM

There are a couple of ways you can say this, and I'm certain others can chime in, but I use "por poco ..." to say that something just/barely missed me or another object. The present tense is usually used, but the English translation is in the past tense.

Por poco me choca el coche/auto/carro.
The car almost hit/barely missed me.

Bobbert January 24, 2019 11:27 AM

Thanks, Rusty. I'm familiar with por poco and how it's used, so that's a good option that I'll be able to remember.

poli January 24, 2019 11:45 AM

An obvious one is casi me choca el coche.

AngelicaDeAlquezar January 24, 2019 05:02 PM

I agree with Rusty and Poli.
For the Mexican touch, you may say "(me) pasó rozando", or "por poquito y el fierro (me) da en el carro / le da al carro". :D
...or: "me salvé por un pelito (de rana calva)". ;)

Bobbert January 24, 2019 06:41 PM

Thank you, Poli and Angelica.

Referring to the first sentence about the rod barely missing the van, and using “pasarse rozando,” is it “la vara/la barra le pasó rozando a la camioneta”? Am I conjugating it correctly?

Also, are “errar” and/or “fallar” not viable verbs to convey barely missing an object?

I understand how the Mexican touches, "casi," and "por poco" work when it deals with barely missing me, but I’m still unclear about something barely missing an object. I'm still unclear about saying the first sentence correctly.

aleCcowaN January 25, 2019 04:10 AM

La marquesina se soltó con el viento y (un/a) (fierro/barra de hierro) (-casi- pasó rozando / -casi- pasó raspando / casi le da / casi le pega / por poco le pega / por poco y le pega) a la camioneta que estaba estacionada junto al (cordón/bordillo)

La van por poco se salvó de que una barra de hierro le pegara.

Bobbert January 25, 2019 10:45 AM

Thank you, AleCcowaN. I understand it now. :good:

aleCcowaN January 25, 2019 04:19 PM

You're welcome! :)

AngelicaDeAlquezar January 25, 2019 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobbert (Post 175308)
is it “la vara/la barra le pasó rozando a la camioneta”? Am I conjugating it correctly?

Yes, that's right. I'd also say "la varilla" (a metal rod used for construction) or "fierro" (almost any piece of metal) instead of "vara" (which I'd only use for a branch of a tree) or "barra", which is not incorrect, but not my first choice. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobbert (Post 175308)
Also, are “errar” and/or “fallar” not viable verbs to convey barely missing an object?

I think "errar" and "fallar" need an intention to hit, which an object by itself cannot have. :)