Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Grammar (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Llendo = yendo?? (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=7938)

laepelba May 16, 2010 02:37 PM

Llendo = yendo??

I saw the word "llendo" several times in the lyrics to a song projected on a screen in church this afternoon. I can't find it in a dictionary or in conjugation charts. I am thinking that it's supposed to be "yendo", the gerundio of "ir", but I want to be sure. (That would make sense in context.) The people who make these slides with lyrics are well-spoken, and I don't believe that the slides typically have errors. Is this a common misspelling of "yendo"? Is it an acceptable misspelling?

chileno May 16, 2010 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laepelba (Post 82871)
I saw the word "llendo" several times in the lyrics to a song projected on a screen in church this afternoon. I can't find it in a dictionary or in conjugation charts. I am thinking that it's supposed to be "yendo", the gerundio of "ir", but I want to be sure. (That would make sense in context.) The people who make these slides with lyrics are well-spoken, and I don't believe that the slides typically have errors. Is this a common misspelling of "yendo"? Is it an acceptable misspelling?

No, it isn't any more acceptable than misspelling "your" instead of using "you're"

The correct way is "yendo" = "going"

laepelba May 16, 2010 04:03 PM

I just have a very, very difficult time believing that I caught a mistake that a room full of intelligent native Spanish-speakers let go by. Seriously? Could it possibly mean something else?

Rusty May 16, 2010 04:13 PM

No, it can't be anything other than a misspelling. You'll see misspelled words in two languages the rest of your life. ;)

alx May 16, 2010 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laepelba (Post 82878)
I just have a very, very difficult time believing that I caught a mistake that a room full of intelligent native Spanish-speakers let go by. Seriously? Could it possibly mean something else?

No, it doesn't have any other meaning, although it is quite frequent to make this mistake (among many others for this verb since it is irregular).
I have also seen people who write "iendo". It is kind of confusing :thinking:

AngelicaDeAlquezar May 16, 2010 05:44 PM

@Lou Ann: Many (and I mean MANY) native Spanish speakers make a lot of spelling mistakes, so please stay focused on what you've learnt in books and dictionaries, and keep your knowledge like that. :)

No misspelling is acceptable ever, but unfortunately, most of those who make them don't care.

chileno May 17, 2010 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty (Post 82881)
No, it can't be anything other than a misspelling. You'll see misspelled words in two languages the rest of your life. ;)

:D

And specially true when you see stuff in Spanish, here in the US, now wait till you get to Argentina, and you'll see plenty of English stuff....;)

pjt33 May 17, 2010 04:11 AM

Es por eso que insisto en que el hecho de que el español es un idioma fonético quiere decir que se dice como se escribe, y no que se escriba como se dice.

(Recuerdo una vez descifrar un mensaje que un amigo cubano me había escrito, puso "e" por "es" porque lo' cubano' suelen comer lo' ese' a lo' finale' de la' palabra').

ookami May 17, 2010 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chileno (Post 82936)
:D

And specially true when you see stuff in Spanish, here in the US, now wait till you get to Argentina, and you'll see plenty of English stuff....;)

Just English? I only know one person that really knows how to speak Spanish here(Arg. and Spain thorugh what I've read from internet). In almost half of the books I've read for school, college, etc, made from not just professors but from doctors, I've found several grammar or vocabulary mistakes and more than nothing, conceptual, tautologyc and stilistic faults. People generally don't master their mother tongue, unfortunately, you can't expect to much of the thinking ability of someone that doesn't know his main tongue. I have to add to the black list: all newspapers, all tv programs, movies, books... yesterday I was surfing the net for reading some writer's blogs (including self named writers) and... if they write like that, I don't want to think of the non-writers. All the literature and in more wide terms, all effor to improve as a human or to try to know yourself better, all the artistics and mind expressions, don't go well with this worldwide society. They aren't a commodity.
And I'm sure this is happening in all languages and countrys and not with minor impact in sensibles foreheads. And each day is worst.
So English or Spanish, Uruguay or Eeuu or Australia, your eyes and ears have to walk with caution and they will ache with every letter-step.