Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Translations (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Proposal for engagement (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=14918)

arkroan March 05, 2013 02:44 AM

Proposal for engagement

Dear Members,

I do not speak Spanish but I would like your help.

Next month I am going to meet my sweetheart's parents and ask for their permission to marry their daughter.
As the custom dictates, we are going to have an engagement first before the marriage. This means that our two families will meet and I am going to give her the ring.

My sweethart's mom is from Mexico and its clear to me that she is the one I need to make a good impression to. :)

So I have decided, when the time comes to meet her, to say a sentence I have prepared in Spanish.

Hence, I would like to ask your assistance in order to translate this sentence into Spanish.

Here is what I have in mind:

"I promise I will love you daughter and will do everything I can to make her happy"

It is short and punchy because nobody else from those people present speak Spanish, and I don't want to get nervous and forget half of the things I want to say.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Rusty March 05, 2013 05:27 AM

Juro amar a su hija y hacer todo lo posible para que sea feliz.

Get someone to pronounce it for you. Good luck!

arkroan March 05, 2013 05:36 AM

Thank you very much for your reply Rusty.

I will have no trouble finding somebody to pronounce it for me.

Thanks again!

Elaina March 05, 2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arkroan (Post 133943)
Dear Members,

Next month I am going to meet my sweetheart's parents and ask for their permission to marry their daughter.
As the custom dictates, we are going to have an engagement first before the marriage. This means that our two families will meet and I am going to give her the ring.

My sweethart's mom is from Mexico and its clear to me that she is the one I need to make a good impression to. :)

So I have decided, when the time comes to meet her, to say a sentence I have prepared in Spanish.

Hence, I would like to ask your assistance in order to translate this sentence into Spanish.

"I promise I will love you daughter and will do everything I can to make her happy"

It is short and punchy because nobody else from those people present speak Spanish, and I don't want to get nervous and forget half of the things I want to say.

¡Buena suerte y Felicidades!

:rose:

Premium March 05, 2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Dear Members,

Very sweet, i wish you nothing but the best.

arkroan March 06, 2013 12:53 AM

Thank you ALL for your wishes.
:)

wayfarer March 06, 2013 05:32 AM

Quote:

I hope that this is only a ritual, and that you don't have really to ask for parents' permission to marry her :)

Anyway, congratulations also from me :)

Premium March 06, 2013 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayfarer (Post 134056)
I hope that this is only a ritual, and that you don't have really to ask for parents' permission to marry her :)

Anyway, congratulations also from me :)

This is usual in some countries.

arkroan March 06, 2013 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayfarer (Post 134056)

:-) No, not really.
We are both mature adults and we are able to understand what makes us happy.

I am only doing this to keep the customs alive and I am pretty sure it will be appreciated by her family.
I also know (correct me if I am wrong) from a Mexican friend of mine, that this is how it used to be some years ago. The groom had to ask the parent's permission in order to marry their daughter.

I am also planning to ask her to marry me before I do that.
( As a romantic gesture really. We have already decided to be together )

Premium March 06, 2013 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arkroan (Post 134059)
I also know (correct me if I am wrong) from a Mexican friend of mine, that this is how it used to be some years ago. The groom had to ask the parent's permission in order to marry their daughter.

This is also the case in Kosovo.