Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Culture (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Pronunciación (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=4779)

valleymist July 27, 2009 06:55 PM

Pronunciación

Tratar de aprender las diferencias en la pronunciación entre español latinoamericano y europeo. (I need help correcting this sentence too)

I bought a computer program to learn Spanish then realized it was European Spanish but I originally wanted to start with Latin American. I decided to stick with the program I have and also bought a book with exercises. I would like to know the differences in pronunciation.

So far I noticed in the book;

Latin America - in c + e, i; the "c" is pronounced as "s" instead of "th"
"ll" is pronounced as "y"
z is pronounced as "s"

Are those the major differences? What about jeuogo (the book pronounces it with the phonetics khweh-go) or gigante (khee-gahn-teh)? Are these correct?

bobjenkins July 27, 2009 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by valleymist (Post 43547)
Tratar de aprender las diferencias en la pronunciación entre español latinoamericano y europeo. (I need help correcting this sentence too)

I bought a computer program to learn Spanish then realized it was European Spanish but I originally wanted to start with Latin American. I decided to stick with the program I have and also bought a book with exercises. I would like to know the differences in pronunciation.

So far I noticed in the book;

Latin America - in c + e, i; the "c" is pronounced as "s" instead of "th"
z is pronounced as "s"

Are those the major differences? What about jeuogo (the book pronounces it with the phonetics khweh-go) or gigante (khee-gahn-teh)? Are these correct?

Querría añadir que en Argentina pronuncian LL como "sh"

Me llamo
/meh/ shamo/

La principia diferencia entre ambos es que en España se usan vosotros, no estoy seguro de las diferencias de la pronunciación.

Quote:

Trato de aprender las diferencias en la pronunciación entre español latinoamericano y europeo.
Quizá puedes decir

Trato de aprender/Quisiera saber las diferencias entre cómo las palabras (españolas) son pronunciadas por los Españoles y los Latinoamericanos
:)

chileno July 27, 2009 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobjenkins (Post 43549)
Querría añadir que en Argentina pronuncian LL como "sh"

Me llamo
/meh/ shamo/

La principia diferencia entre ambos es que en España se usan vosotros, no estoy seguro de las diferencias de la pronunciación.

Quizá puedes decir

Trato de aprender/Quisiera saber las diferencias entre cómo las palabras (españolas) son pronunciadas por los Españoles y los Latinoamericanos

/meh/ shahmo/

A little correction on your pronunciation. ;)

brute July 29, 2009 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chileno (Post 43552)
/meh/ shahmo/

Esta prononciación me parece como "chamo-me" en el portugués.

ookami August 21, 2009 12:57 AM

/yamo /shamo for me is fine, it's not a too large sound. (it's like the shi/sha/sho of japanese)

Hmm diferences...

Oh... here we don't respect as much as in europe the "z"... (definetely is like an "s")

Then, the main diference is about the words that are frequently use and some acents - tones.

bobjenkins August 25, 2009 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chileno (Post 43552)
/meh/ shahmo/

chileno August 25, 2009 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ookami (Post 47029)
/yamo /shamo for me is fine, it's not a too large sound. (it's like the shi/sha/sho of japanese)

Hmm diferences...

Oh... here we don't respect as much as in europe the "z"... (definetely is like an "s")

Then, the main diference is about the words that are frequently use and some acents - tones.

Hi:

yamo in English would be pronounced as iamo.

Most latins and others will pronounce you as YU and it should IÚ.

YU is the pronunciation of JEW and it means judío,a :)

ookami August 25, 2009 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chileno (Post 47444)
Hi:

yamo in English would be pronounced as iamo.

Most latins and others will pronounce you as YU and it should IÚ.

YU is the pronunciation of JEW and it means judío,a :)

I see where it goes, thanks chileno.

pjt33 August 25, 2009 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by valleymist (Post 43547)

Pronounciation of "Ll" is a fairly individual matter. I've travelled in Cuba, Ecuador, and Spain (where I live), and in all three countries I've heard at least three pronounciations:
1. Elongated "L"
2. "Y" (according to one of my Spanish Spanish teachers, "Todo el mundo es yeísta")
3. "Dj" (as in the English loan-word from Arabic, "djinn").

I would characterise the Argentinian pronounciation as "zh" rather than "sh".

chileno August 25, 2009 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjt33 (Post 47499)
Pronounciation of "Ll" is a fairly individual matter. I've travelled in Cuba, Ecuador, and Spain (where I live), and in all three countries I've heard at least three pronounciations:
1. Elongated "L"
2. "Y" (according to one of my Spanish Spanish teachers, "Todo el mundo es yeísta")
3. "Dj" (as in the English loan-word from Arabic, "djinn").

I would characterise the Argentinian pronounciation as "zh" rather than "sh".

Hi:

Sh for me is more phonetically accurate to appeal to the English mind...

The minute you look at a word like that, your mind does not have problems in trying to cope with pronunciation, instead of weird Universal/international phonetic symbology.