Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Daily Spanish Word (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Semáforo (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=6425)

DailyWord December 05, 2009 02:23 AM

Semáforo

This is a discussion thread for the Daily Spanish Word for December 5, 2009

semáforo (masculine noun (el)) — traffic signal, stop light, traffic light, semaphore. Look up semáforo in the dictionary

Estuve esperando y esperando y parecía que el semáforo nunca iba a cambiar a verde.
I was waiting and waiting and it seemed like the light was never going to change to green.

Esta ciudad es tan aburrida, que no hay nada qué hacer, salvo ver el cambio en la luz de los semáforos.
This town is so boring, there is nothing to do except watch the traffic lights change.

Se pasó un semáforo en rojo. / Se pasó un alto.
She went through a red traffic light. / She ran a red light.

pjt33 December 05, 2009 03:29 AM

Quizás debería ponerlo en el hilo de chistes, pero...

¿Por qué en Lepe los semáforos están a 20 metros arriba de la carretera?
Para que nadie los salte.

laepelba December 05, 2009 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DailyWord (Post 64045)

This town is so boring, there is nothing to do except watch the traffic lights change.
Esta ciudad es tan aburrida, que no hay nada qué hacer, salvo ver el cambio en la luz de los semáforos.

I hope no one minds this request, but I really LOVE that you always put the Spanish sentence first. Because I always read it first and try not to look at the English until I understand the Spanish. Was this one switched on purpose? Or would it be possible for one of the moderators to change it back? THANKS!!

pjt - I know that often humor doesn't translate, so I won't ask you to explain your joke (I honestly don't get it....) But tell me, is "arriba de la carretera" more or less equivalent to "above the road"?

bobjenkins December 05, 2009 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laepelba (Post 64052)
I hope no one minds this request, but I really LOVE that you always put the Spanish sentence first. Because I always read it first and try not to look at the English until I understand the Spanish. Was this one switched on purpose? Or would it be possible for one of the moderators to change it back? THANKS!!

pjt - I know that often humor doesn't translate, so I won't ask you to explain your joke (I honestly don't get it....) But tell me, is "arriba de la carretera" more or less equivalent to "above the road"?

Tambien prefiero que el español es primero:)

Los semáforos se están poniendo muy bien para cogerme cuando yo los salté

(Saltar el semáforo significa run a red light)) Jump the street light

pjt33 December 05, 2009 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laepelba (Post 64052)
pjt - I know that often humor doesn't translate, so I won't ask you to explain your joke (I honestly don't get it....)

It translates into BrE ("to jump the lights").

Quote:

But tell me, is "arriba de la carretera" more or less equivalent to "above the road"?
That was my intention. Quizás habría sido mejor decir "por encima de la carretera".

irmamar December 05, 2009 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjt33 (Post 64049)
Quizás debería ponerlo en el hilo de chistes, pero...

¿Por qué en Lepe los semáforos están a 20 metros arriba de la carretera?
Para que nadie los salte.

¿Por qué en Lepe los semáforos están a 20 metros de altura?

Para que nadie se los salte.

laepelba December 05, 2009 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjt33 (Post 64059)
It translates into BrE ("to jump the lights"). That was my intention. Quizás habría sido mejor decir "por encima de la carretera".

I'm a bit more confused now than before.... How could "arriba de la carretera" translate to "to jump the lights"? I thought that your punchline was "jump the lights". No?

irmamar December 05, 2009 06:07 AM

The correct way of saying this is "a x m. de altura".

Saltarse un semáforo = jump / go through

If the traffic light is high, you can't "saltártelo" (jump over it/go through it).

Clearer? :thinking: :D

pjt33 December 05, 2009 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laepelba (Post 64067)
I'm a bit more confused now than before....

Edited for clarity.

Gracias, Irma.

AngelicaDeAlquezar December 05, 2009 09:42 AM

@Lou Ann & Bob: Order of sentences has been changed.