Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Vocabulary (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Back-seat driver (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=11116)

JPablo June 17, 2011 04:29 PM

Back-seat driver

back-seat driver: a passenger in an automobile who offers unwanted or unasked for advice about driving, especially from the back seat.

(It is also in the Tom
ísimo dictionary...)

My translation could be,

pasajero que importuna al conductor con sus indicaciones.

Any other better ideas?

Any shorter expression?

¿Entrometido, metiche, metomentodo?

(Probably that is a bit more general.)

Any ideas are welcome... even if they come from the back seat!
;)

chileno June 17, 2011 07:19 PM

Literalmente "pasajero conductor"

¿Cómo puede ser? ;)

Sancho Panther June 18, 2011 03:02 AM

I doubt if we'll improve on that - ¡muy bien!

Perikles June 18, 2011 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPablo (Post 112362)
back-seat driver: a passenger in an automobile who offers unwanted or unasked for advice about driving, especially from the back seat.

In my experience, the backseat driver is always on the front seat next to the driver. My response to the behaviour is always "Look - which side of the car has the steering wheel?"

And I invariably get the response

"The wrong one"

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

aleCcowaN June 18, 2011 05:09 AM

Cualquier frase que lo refiera como "inspector de manejo" (o la manera informal local de llamar a quien te examina para otorgarte tu primer carnet de conductor): "Nos trajimos al inspector de manejo con nosotros".

Yo siempre tengo un "¡calláte!" a flor de labios por si me llega a tocar algún aspirante a copiloto de aquellos tan útiles que sólo dicen especificidades como "¡cuidado!". A veces el "¡calláte!" se hace más explicado y se convierte en "¡calláte, o te dejo acá!".

chileno June 18, 2011 06:42 AM

I have a friend, who literally, got off the car in the middle of the street, and was asked by the character in question:

- Where are you going?

- I decided to walk since you are driving...

:D

Sancho Panther June 20, 2011 04:22 AM

Quote:

"I have a friend, who literally, got off out of the car in the middle of the street:"
Please don't be offended - only trying to help!

chileno June 20, 2011 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sancho Panther (Post 112437)
Please don't be offended - only trying to help!

No problem. I could never be offended by people that help me.

I understand perfectly what the problem is, now if it helps any my friend is very fat, so he practically has to "get off" the car. :rolleyes:

Now, in my defense, I think this is an American use/misuse, and as such I "copy".

So now to wait for Americans.

Thank you, and please do not doubt in correcting me, because, even if it does not help me (for whatever reasons), it will help the reader.

:)

poli June 20, 2011 07:00 AM

Get out of the car is the way to say it in American English too. Oddly enough, you can use get off the car if you are leaving a train, bus, trolly, tram, cable car or street car.

chileno June 20, 2011 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poli (Post 112443)
Get out of the car is the way to say it in American English too. Oddly enough, you can use get off the car if you are leaving a train, bus, trolly, tram, cable car or street car.

So I sit corrected. I think I read too many western novels in my early days in this country.

:)