Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Vocabulary (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Crítica (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=23648)

ROBINDESBOIS March 16, 2019 04:21 AM

Crítica

How can I say when I´m talking about a movie and the author criticizes a current problem?
e.g The movie shows a large critica de la sociedad turbia de la época.

wrholt March 16, 2019 05:58 PM

Some possible equivalents in English could be "review", "critique", or "criticism".

A "review" is a published opinion about some work of art of any type, usually one that has been recently "published" (that is, made available to the public for viewing or purchase). A person who writes "reviews" as part of their work is a "critic". Often a critic specializes in one genre of art, such as theater, music, the written word, or (non-performance) art such as you might find in an art museum. The goal of a "review" is to help the reader/listener make an informed decision about whether or not they might like that work of art and then choose whether or not to go to a performance, read the written work, visit the museum, or whatever is appropriate for experiencing the work of art directly.

A "critique" (or a critical analysis) is similar to a "review", but the subject is not necessarily a newly published work of art.

I identify 2 types of "critiques".

The first type of critique is solicited by the creator of some thing who needs an independent evaluation or opinion about that thing, with the goal of identifying how to continue creating the thing with the goal of making it better. For example, an author may ask someone to read a draft of a new novel, with the goal of learning what parts of the novel need to be revised to make it better. Or a company that makes widgets may want an independent assessment to learn whether the product fulfills its intended purpose, and how it could be improved in order to be more effective at it.

The second type of critique is a detailed analysis of some thing intended to help others understand that thing. Some examples include an analysis of Cervantes "Don Quixote" that functions to help the reader understand the story within it's cultural context, or a detailed analysis of the methods and practices used in research of some type.

The word "criticism" has several meanings. Perhaps the most common one is a negative opinion. However, it also refers to the general process of evaluating and rendering opinions about something; for example, literary criticism is one of the activities of professors of literature at universities.

ROBINDESBOIS March 17, 2019 03:33 AM

THANK YOU. which one fits better in the sentence I wrote before?

aleCcowaN March 17, 2019 05:47 AM

Maybe something like "the movie/film offers a critical view of [those/such/-specify them-] turbulent[for everybody]/unsettling[for one person] times"

poli March 18, 2019 11:44 AM

The film serves as a critique of turbulent society of the era.

JPablo March 19, 2019 09:49 PM

How about...?

... serves as a criticism of the murky society of the time. ?

ROBINDESBOIS March 20, 2019 06:06 AM

:thumbsup:
Quote:

Originally Posted by JPablo (Post 175489)
How about...?

... serves as a criticism of the murky society of the time. ?

poli March 20, 2019 11:45 AM

That's right turbio doesn't mean turbulent, but I think uncertain may be a better word this sentence than murky.

aleCcowaN March 21, 2019 09:57 AM

Quote:

turbio, bia...
2. adj. Dicho de tiempos o circunstancias: Revueltos, dudosos, azarosos.

Source

Quote:

tur·bu·lent
adj....
2. Characterized by disorder, commotion, or unrest: a turbulent period in history.

source: American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition

tiempos turbios can be dark, turbulent, murky, trying or other, depending on the context.

The only example I found with turbio clearly meaning murky is this: «HOY puede ser el último día de la transición española hacia la democracia o el primero de un tiempo turbio y espeso en el que, como escribió un famoso autor contemporáneo, la mentira deje de ser una categoría moral para convertirse en "el principal pilar del Estado".»

poli March 21, 2019 12:06 PM

Wouldn't agua turbia be a perfect translation for murky (turbid) water? I am sure I have heard agua turbia spoken.