Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (
-   Vocabulary (
-   -   How to say thermal cut-out (

breadb April 16, 2008 10:26 AM

How to say thermal cut-out
I was wondering if anyone knows the technical term for thermal cutout or thermal cut-out in Spanish. This is a small electrical component used similarly to a fuse. When it heats up to a certain temperature, it cuts the current so the device won't overheat and cause a fire. I am in South America and I need to buy one to repair a power supply. Here's a picture of the one I need. Also, what would you call a store that sells electrical parts such as diodes and things- something like Radio Shack?

Thanks in advance.

Alfonso April 16, 2008 11:38 AM

In Spain for a shop like the one you describe you would say tienda de componentes electrónicos or tienda de electrónica but in this last case it can be understood as an electro-domestics shop as well.
For the electronic component I don't have a clue about the exact word, but I would try a descriptive phrase like interruptor térmico. Sure this will be understood by people involved in electronics.
But South America is far away from Spain... so who knows...
I'm sorry not to be able to give you a better information.

Tomisimo April 16, 2008 11:46 AM

I found quite a few google results for interruptor térmico, but I think that would be translated as thermal switch or thermostat (termostato), which would probably be more involved than what you want (it would probably be a switch that you can reset, whereas this cutout only works once.)

EDIT: I found some more words for this, if it helps. It looks like thermal cutoff, thermal fuse, thermal regulator, temperature switch, temperature fuse, and thermal protector are synonymous with thermal cutout.

Alfonso April 16, 2008 11:53 AM

Maybe, then, a good option would be fusible térmico, as a fuse can only be used once.

Tomisimo April 16, 2008 12:00 PM


Originally Posted by Alfonso (Post 6854)
... but I would try with a describing phrase like interruptor térmico.

... but I would try a descriptive phrase like ...
... but I would try using a descriptive phrase like ...

Originally Posted by Alfonso (Post 6856)
Maybe, then, a good option would be fusible térmico, as a fuse can only be used once.

I agree, that sounds like a pretty good option.

Rusty April 16, 2008 01:35 PM

Try disyuntor térmico.
If this doesn't work, make sure you take the part with you and then just ask for a replacement. They can look it up and tell you what it is called.

sosia April 16, 2008 02:23 PM

I would use interruptor térmico for Spain or disyuntor térmico for South America, as Alfonso and Rusty already said.
greetings :D

breadb April 16, 2008 09:00 PM

Thanks for all the options you have given me. This will help me a lot.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:09 AM.

Forum powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.