Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Grammar (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Debe vs. Debe de (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=3910)

workingmom20 May 13, 2009 11:51 AM

Debe vs. Debe de
 
When should you use Debe and when should you use Debe de,
tambien,
hay alguien aqui que sepa adonde puedo encontrar un website de escritura en Espanol. I feel that I really need to work on my grammar and sentence structures.

Rusty May 13, 2009 12:27 PM

Both are used. Some adherents of the language insist on the presence of the preposition.

AngelicaDeAlquezar May 13, 2009 12:30 PM

"Deber" id used when something must be some way.
"Deber de" is used when one makes a guess about something one expects to be some way.


Debo terminar mi trabajo esta tarde.
I must finish my work this afternoon.

Había demasiados errores en mi trabajo. Debo de haberme distraído.
There were too many errors in my work. I must have been distracted.

Debes ir a ver a tu madre al hospital.
You must go and see your mother in the hospital.

Encontré a la señora inconsciente en el suelo. Debe de haberse caído de la escalera.
I found the lady unconscious on the floor. She must have fallen from the stairs.

laepelba May 13, 2009 01:05 PM

WorkingMom - I like this thread ... and am going to follow it. I wonder if you could also ask the second question in a separate thread? I think it would be more likely to get thorough answers that way. :)

bmarquis124 May 13, 2009 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar (Post 35505)
Debo terminar mi trabajo esta tarde.
I must finish my work this afternoon.

Debes ir a ver a tu madre al hospital.
You must go and see your mother in the hospital.

I always thought deber meant 'should' but in these examples, should and must come across differently. So how would you say should instead of must?

poli May 13, 2009 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar (Post 35505)
"Deber" id used when something must be some way.
"Deber de" is used when one makes a guess about something one expects to be some way.


Debo terminar mi trabajo esta tarde.
I must finish my work this afternoon.

Había demasiados errores en mi trabajo. Debo de haberme distraído.
There were too many errors in my work. I must have been distracted.

Debes ir a ver a tu madre al hospital.
You must go and see your mother in the hospital.

Encontré a la señora inconsciente en el suelo. Debe de haberse caído de la escalera.
I found the lady unconscious on the floor. She must have fallen from the stairs.

:applause:You're a good teacher. deber +de+haberse has a specific meaning that
I have heard in speech but never quite contrued it. Thank you.

chileno May 13, 2009 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmarquis124 (Post 35549)
I always thought deber meant 'should' but in these examples, should and must come across differently. So how would you say should instead of must?

Debiera or deberia?

AngelicaDeAlquezar May 13, 2009 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmarquis124 (Post 35549)
I always thought deber meant 'should' but in these examples, should and must come across differently. So how would you say should instead of must?


There are no automatic translations, but I agree with Hernán that "debería" is a good one for this kind of sentences.


It's late. I should be finishing my work by now.
Es tarde. Ya debería de estar terminando mi trabajo.

You shouldn't be so rude.
No deberías ser tan grosero.


@Poli: Thank you. :o
Just a little note: it's not only "deber de" + haberse...

El teléfono suena. Debe de ser Juan.
The telephone is ringing. It must be Juan.

Son las siete. La tienda ya debe de estar cerrada.
It's already seven o'clock. The store must be already closed.

tacuba May 13, 2009 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar (Post 35628)
There are no automatic translations, but I agree with Hernán that "debería" is a good one for this kind of sentences.


It's late. I should be finishing my work by now.
Es tarde. Ya debería de estar terminando mi trabajo.

You shouldn't be so rude.
No deberías ser tan grosero.


@Poli: Thank you. :o
Just a little note: it's not only "deber de" + haberse...

El teléfono suena. Debe de ser Juan.
The telephone is ringing. It must be Juan.

Son las siete. La tienda ya debe de estar cerrada.
It's already seven o'clock. The store must be already closed.

Hi Malila. I was also confused by the "must have been" construction and I posted the question in another thread. David answered:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomisimo (Post 23387)
Learn this construction and you'll be fine:

El cuarto debió estar muy sucio porque cuando salió estaba lleno de polvo.
The room must have been really dirty because when she came out she was covered with dust.


So...

must have been = deber (in preterit) + estar (infinitive)

I must have been crazy ... = debí estar loco ...

Are these just different approaches to saying the same thing?

Thanks

AngelicaDeAlquezar May 13, 2009 06:27 PM

@Tacuba: *ouch!* :thinking:

I'm sure David must have a reason to avoid the preposition, but I would have used "deber de" in both cases.

El cuarto debió de estar muy sucio porque...

Debí de estar loco./Debí de haber estado loco.


...I was taught to differenciate the duty and the supposition this way. :thinking:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:57 PM.

Forum powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.