Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Grammar (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Passive voice in spanish? (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=1157)

Hombre-Araña April 20, 2008 09:51 PM

Passive voice in spanish?

On my english papers, I have been reprimanded for my tendency of using a "passive voice". I think that means "to be" + verb. Is this passive voice used the same way in spanish, and is it acceptable in high school-college level writing?

Rusty April 20, 2008 11:39 PM

Verbs are grouped into an active voice, as in 'My dad drove the car,' or a passive voice, 'The car was driven by my father.' In the active voice, the subject is the agent, or 'doer' of the action. In the passive voice, the subject of the sentence is acted upon by some other agent or by something unnamed (The car was driven - The plan was adopted).

The passive voice is a 'to be + past participle' construction in both languages. This construct occurs frequently in English. It isn't a good idea to always use it, however. Your teacher wants you to write straight-forward sentences instead of overusing the passive voice. This is a proper expectation in high school and college work.

In Spanish, the passive voice is not used as frequently as in English. Instead, a reflexive verb construct is much more prevalent. A very good example can be seen in this popular phrase: Se habla español
Here is the passive voice English translation: Spanish is spoken here
Here is another translation, using an active voice: One speaks Spanish here
You'll note that the latter translation sounds odd to us because we like to know who is doing the speaking. If we don't know who that person is, we tend to use the passive voice. To a person whose native language is Spanish, however, it doesn't at all sound strange to use se habla español. If the subject is acted upon by some other agent, or if it is unnamed, they use a reflexive construct. I doubt you'll ever see a sign that reads español está hablado aquí. If you do, it was probably written by someone whose native tongue is English.

Using a reflexive construct instead of the passive voice in Spanish is an important concept to master (and understand).
Tip: When the subject is not known, thinking 'one speaks Spanish' will help you remember to use a reflexive construct.

It is very common in Spanish for a subject to be acted upon, rather than to do the action. This is another case where the reflexive construct is used.
Examples of being acted upon instead of doing the action:
I forgot my keys = se me olvidaron las llaves (the keys forgot me - I didn't forget them!)
I dropped the vase = se me cayó el florero

Elaina April 21, 2008 07:59 AM

Thank you Rusty!

You have a very natural way of explaining things. You have refreshed my memory with this explanation.

Thanks again!
Elaina;)

sosia April 21, 2008 10:16 AM

good one Rusty!
apuntate una!
saludos :D

Tomisimo April 21, 2008 12:50 PM

Great post Rusty. Just one small thing. Wouldn't it be se me olvidaron las llaves not se me olvidó las llaves?

Rusty April 21, 2008 01:28 PM

Yes, you're right. Thanks, David! (Post corrected.)

Hombre-Araña April 22, 2008 03:03 PM

Thanks a bunch, Rusty =]

Alfonso April 24, 2008 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomisimo (Post 7025)
Great post Rusty. Just one small thing. Wouldn't it be se me olvidaron las llaves not se me olvidó las llaves?

Actually, both are correct!

The former is pasiva refleja, last one is impersonal. It's the same case as:
  • Se vende casas. (Impersonal)
  • Se venden casas. (Pasiva refleja)
Anyway, this is a deep grammar concept on which many grammarians are loosing their youths. It is not worthwhile focusing on it.

Tomisimo April 26, 2008 03:39 PM

I didn't know that. It just goes to show you that you learn something every day.

Iris May 02, 2008 07:37 AM

Se vende casas sounds incorrect to me. Is it ok?:confused: