Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Daily Spanish Word (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Hospedar (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=6182)

DailyWord November 16, 2009 02:18 AM

Hospedar

This is a discussion thread for the Daily Spanish Word for November 16, 2009

hospedar (masculine noun (el)) — to lodge, give a room to, put up. Look up hospedar in the dictionary

Iba a viajar a las montañas y un primo ofreció hospedarme en su casa por unos días.
I was going to visit the mountains and a cousin of mine offered to let me stay at his house for a few days.

laepelba November 16, 2009 06:43 AM

Just trying to make connections here ... it seems to be obvious that "hospedar" and "huésped" are related words. Can someone walk me through that connection and give some other related terms? Thanks! :)

poli November 16, 2009 07:49 AM

Huéped is the guest. Anfitrión is the host. I think anfitrion is English too (by way of Greece), but as you know nobody uses the term.

Perikles November 16, 2009 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laepelba (Post 61663)
Just trying to make connections here ... it seems to be obvious that "hospedar" and "huésped" are related words. Can someone walk me through that connection and give some other related terms? Thanks! :)

They both derive from hospitem, acc. Latin hospes, host, stranger, guest. The connection between host and guest is an ancient one, no doubt because it was based on reciprocity in that if you had someone as guest, it was understood that you could then be their guest. Confusing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by poli (Post 61667)
Huéped is the guest. Anfitrión is the host. I think anfitrion is English too (by way of Greece), but as you know nobody uses the term.

Anfitrión is from the French amphitryon, dinner host from a play Amphitryon by Moliere (1667). Probably based on the Amphitryon of Greek mythology, husband of Alkmene, seduced by Zeus in the form of said husband, giving birth to Herakles. The connection is that Amphitryon was the host to Zeus. Not the best behaviour for a guest, but Gods can do anything. (That is the short explanation :whistling:)

CrOtALiTo November 16, 2009 10:04 AM

There's any translation for the word hospedar.

laepelba November 16, 2009 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poli (Post 61667)

Thanks - in fact, I have never heard the word "anfitrion". But my vocabulary in English is minuscule!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perikles (Post 61669)
They both derive from hospitem, acc. Latin hospes, host, stranger, guest. The connection between host and guest is an ancient one, no doubt because it was based on reciprocity in that if you had someone as guest, it was understood that you could then be their guest. Confusing.

I actually don't think it's confusing. What I DO think is that American's don't really *get* hospitality. On my trips to Africa, when hosted in someone's home or when visiting someone's place of employment, they were PROFUSE in their expression of gratitude. It is my experience that the guest thanks the host (in the USA). But after experiencing the culture in Kenya, I realized that the host is MOST grateful for the guest gracing their home/workplace/etc. with their presence. My presence in their home was a blessing to them! Most humbling to realize how backwards my thinking about American hospitality is. NOW, when I have the opportunity to have guests, I am certainly most grateful ... and am thrilled to entertain in my home. I have even made the guest bedroom the most comfortable room in my home (I hope!) and I try to keep the attitude that even if it's a little inconvenient for me, I will even be happy (truly happy) to welcome even last-minute guests.

Tomisimo November 16, 2009 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo (Post 61698)
There's any translation for the word hospedar.

Yes. Read the first post.

irmamar November 17, 2009 12:36 AM

Hospedar, from Latin "hospitari" ;)

Related words: hospedaje, hospedería, huésped, hospiciano, inhospedable, inhospitalario, inhóspito, etc.

:)

laepelba November 17, 2009 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irmamar (Post 61778)
Hospedar, from Latin "hospitari" ;)

Related words: hospedaje (accommodations), hospedería (not sure...), huésped (guest), hospiciano(again, not sure...), inhospedable(again, not sure...), inhospitalario(inhospitable), inhóspito(inhospitable, again...), etc.

Thanks! I'm not sure I get all of your terms (see above....) - it really helps me increase my vocabulary when I look at all of these connected words. Also, what is the difference between inhospitalario and inhóspito? Or is there a difference?

irmamar November 17, 2009 08:10 AM

Hospedería: inn.
hospiciano: one who lives in an orphanage.
inhospedable = inhospitalario.

La selva es inhóspita (it's quite difficult to live there, this is an uncomfortable place to live).

El dueño de ese hotel es inhospitalario / inhóspito con los extraños (he has a lack of hospitality)

Inhóspito is more used with things (places: jungle, desert, etc.) and inhospitalario is more used with people.