Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Teaching and Learning Techniques (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Teaching ideas (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=1154)

Iris April 19, 2008 11:39 AM

Teaching ideas

I would hate to be stuck in a rut when it comes to teaching English. I am always on the lookout for new ideas and fun activities. Any suggestions?:confused:

Tomisimo April 19, 2008 12:14 PM

Creative new ideas are a must.

One idea is to find some interesting Youtube videos and then using a laptop & video projector, play them for your students. You could pick different themes- politics, music, interviews, pieces of newscasts, etc and have the students watch/listen to the clip and then discuss/answer questions as to the content/try to distinguish what English accent the speaker has etc.

What level are your students and how many do you have?

Iris April 19, 2008 12:25 PM

My students are quite advanced, most of them in their twenties and thirties and I have around 30 per class, though fortunately on a normal day only twenty or so turn up.

Tomisimo April 19, 2008 12:46 PM

OK, what are a couple of activities that they like to do? If you share that with me, I'll be able to think of some related/similar activities that would be appropriate for their level and interests.

Iris April 19, 2008 12:59 PM

They love talking but they find it quite challenging. They also enjoying watching films and series, which we do quite often. Any novel speaking activities?

Alfonso April 19, 2008 03:40 PM

Subasta de frases

One of my star games in Spanish classes is the so-called subasta de frases (phrases auction). I use it for the last part of a lesson to fix up what we have learnt. You write some phrases, both correct and incorrect, in some little cards, reflecting the items you have taught. You divide the class into several groups (five or six people use to work), and tell each of them that they have 1000 euros to spend in your phrases auction. You say your are going to read some phrases and they have to make a bid to buy it. If it's correct, they buy because it's correct. If it's not, they buy it because they know how to explain it. You start the auction. You will notice there are groups which rapidly spend all their money, and some other groups that don't spend an euro until the end. None of them will win. It's a game of strategy. Only good investors will win. Of course, at the same time, they are practising numbers. You have to write on the blackboard the spend of each group to notice who is going on bankrupt.
So, when you have finished selling all cards, you start asking owners for the explanation of each phrase. If they are right, they count one point. If not, they count minus one point. You have to buy some sweets for the winners. Good luck!

Rusty April 19, 2008 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfonso (Post 6996)
One of my star games in Spanish classes is the so-called subasta de frases (phrases auction). I use it for the last part of a lesson to fix up what we have learnt. You write some phrases, both correct and incorrect, in some little cards, reflecting the items you have taught. You divide the class into several groups (five or six people use to work), and tell each of them that they have 1000 euros to spend in your phrases auction. You say your are going to read some phrases and they have to make a bid to buy it. If it's correct, they buy because it's correct. If it's not, they buy it because they know how to explain it. You start the auction. You will notice there are groups which rapidly spend all their money, and some other groups that don't spend an euro until the end. None of them will win. It's a game of strategy. Only good investors will win. Of course, at the same time, they are practising numbers. You have to write on the blackboard the spend of each group to notice who is going on bankrupt.
So, when you have finished selling all cards, you start asking owners for the explanation of each phrase. If they are right, they count one point. If not, they count minus one point. You have to buy some sweets for the winners. Good luck!

One of my stellar games in Spanish classes is the so-called subasta de frases (phrase:bad: auction). I use it for the last part of a lesson to firm up what we have learnt (Am. Eng. learned). You write some phrases, both correct and incorrect ones, on some little cards, reflecting the items you have taught. You divide the class into several groups (five or six people usually works well), and tell each of them that they have 1000 euros to spend in your phrase:bad: auction. You say you:bad: are going to read some phrases and they have to make a bid to buy it. If it's correct, they buy it because it's correct. If it's not, they buy it because they know how to fix it. You start the auction. You will notice there are groups which rapidly spend all their money, and some other groups that don't spend a:bad: euro until the end. Those groups don't win. It's a game of strategy. Only good investors will win. Of course, at the same time, they are practising (Am. Eng. practicing) numbers. You have to write the expenditures of each group on the blackboard to keep track of who is going :bad: bankrupt (going in the red).
So, when you have finished selling all the cards, you start asking the owners for an explanation of each phrase. If they are right, they get a point. If not, they lose a point. You have to buy some sweets for the winners. Good luck!

This sounds like a fun idea!

I'll explain the 'phrase auction' correction. In Spanish you designate what type of auction it is by appending de and a plural object. In English you place the singular noun that describes the type prior to the noun being typed. For example:
car auction = subasta de coches
bachelor auction = subasta de solteros
car rental = alquiler de coches

Alfonso April 20, 2008 02:52 AM

Thank you very much, Rusty, for your superb corrections. The only one I can't understand is this one: a euro, instead of :bad:an euro:bad:. I guess it's an exception from the general rule, but I can't know if it is because of the beginning diphthong or because the word euro itself.

Iris April 20, 2008 06:23 AM

It's because of the diphthong, you also say a university, a European city...

Rusty April 20, 2008 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iris (Post 7003)
It's because of the diphthong, you also say a university, a European city... :good:

Iris said it well. That is the reason for the correction.