Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Practice & Homework (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   English structures, help (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=4407)

irmamar June 30, 2009 09:22 AM

English structures, help

Basic structure:

subject + verb + object + infinitive with 'to'

Example:

John advised Susan to be very quiet

Susan is the object of the verb advised and the subject of the verb to be. Which of the verbs below cannot be used in such a structure?

ask, beg, forbid, instruct, invite, order, persuade, remember, remind, say, teach, urge, warn.

I think it's 'beg': He used to beg for money. But I'm not sure at all. Am I wrong? Thanks.

Rusty June 30, 2009 09:36 AM

If you mean which verb can replace the first verb (not the infinitive in the noun clause - the Direct Object), then all but 'remember' and 'say' can be used. We use 'remind' and 'tell' in those cases.
John asked/begged/forbid/instructed/invited/ordered/persuaded/reminded/told/taught/urged/warned Susan ...

effe June 30, 2009 09:47 AM

I am not sure but to urge,remember can't used.Because there can be problems in meaning.People who have mother tongue is english can help better.

irmamar June 30, 2009 09:49 AM

Can all of the verbs that I've written follow the following structure?:

subject + verb + object + infinitive with 'to'?

I'm asked which of these verbs doesn't follow this structure, in this sentence or in another. May I say: I begged somebody to do something?

I don't know which verb is, but it's said that one of them can't follow that structure, I guessed it was beg, because I think the other ones work well with it.

Ambarina June 30, 2009 09:57 AM

As Rusty said in post #2, you can use all of the verbs except "remember and say".

And...Yes, you can say "I beg somebody to do something", e.g. I beg you to be cautious in your answers.

irmamar June 30, 2009 10:02 AM

Oh, I see! I didn't understand Rusty before! Sorry, Rusty :o

Thanks Rusty and Ambarina :)

brute June 30, 2009 04:00 PM

John advised /asked /begged /forbad(e) /instructed /invited /ordered /
reminded /urged /told /taught / persuaded Susan to do something. These will all work.

These verbs can all have people as direct objects.

Say and remember do not work. Neither will verbs such as speak, talk, think, sing remember have abstract direct objects such as words, thoughts and memories as direct objects (DO) and people as observers/ recipients/ or indirct objects (IO) of the actions

John said something (DO) to Susan (ID)
He sang Susan(IO) a song (DO) or He sang a song (DO) to Susan IO object)
He remembered meeting (DO) Susan or he remembered Susan (DO)

I hope this makes some sense to you. I am confused now!! :worried::thinking::(

irmamar July 01, 2009 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brute (Post 40650)
John advised /asked /begged /forbad(e) /instructed /invited /ordered /
reminded /urged /told /taught / persuaded Susan to do something. These will all work.

These verbs can all have people as direct objects.

Say and remember do not work. Neither will verbs such as speak, talk, think, sing remember have abstract direct objects such as words, thoughts and memories as direct objects (DO) and people as observers/ recipients/ or indirct objects (IO) of the actions

John said something (DO) to Susan (ID)
He sang Susan(IO) a song (DO) or He sang a song (DO) to Susan IO object)
He remembered meeting (DO) Susan or he remembered Susan (DO)

I hope this makes some sense to you. I am confused now!! :worried::thinking::(

Thanks, Brute.

I hope you're not confused, if you are... what about me?:crazy: