Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Grammar (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   When to use the verb "IR" and when to use "VENIR" (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=772)

hermione October 19, 2007 08:52 AM

When to use the verb "IR" and when to use "VENIR"

hello guys!!just new here in this forum. Can u help me when to use the verb "IR" and "venir"..Thanks in advance

anthony October 19, 2007 10:25 AM

What would you like to know about them? ir means to go and venir means to come.

hermione October 19, 2007 12:46 PM

thanks..coz im having a hard time in using verb for different persona..i mean in 1st person, 2nd person & 3rd person. I was absent when my professor explain that in class.

Elaina October 19, 2007 01:06 PM

Hey Hermione:

If I were you, I would the dictionary part of this site and conjugate both verbs....David has done an awesome job with the conjugator.....

buena suerte

Elaina:)

Tomisimo October 19, 2007 04:58 PM

Hi Hermione, and welcome. I joined the two threads, and you're forgiven :)

Elaina, I'm still working on the conjugator. It has come a long way, but it still gives wrong results for a few irregular verbs. But I've got an update just about ready to release.

Tomisimo October 19, 2007 05:02 PM

I just checked now and ir and venir both give wrong results :o I will fix this as soon as I possibly can.

1st person: yo voy (I go/am going) yo vengo (I come/am coming)

2nd person: tu vas (you're going) tu vienes (you're coming)
2nd person (formal): usted va (you're going) usted viene (you're coming)

3rd person: el/ella va (he/she is going) el/ella viene (he/she is coming)

For the second and third persons, I only put the singular version, not the plural.

bleitzow October 19, 2007 06:04 PM

I´m Coming

I have a question about vengo and I´m coming. As I´m learning new words, I have found words that, as I understand them, actually mean "I'm ________ing".

Estoy comiendo (I'm eating)
Estoy nadando (I'm swimming)
Él está corriendo (He's running)

Does vengo really mean "I'm coming" or "I come" or both? Am I misunderstanding the use of the "endo/ando" words?

Thanks,
Brenda

hermione October 20, 2007 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomisimo (Post 4181)
I just checked now and ir and venir both give wrong results :o I will fix this as soon as I possibly can.

1st person: yo voy (I go/am going) yo vengo (I come/am coming)

2nd person: tu vas (you're going) tu vienes (you're coming)
2nd person (formal): usted va (you're going) usted viene (you're coming)

3rd person: el/ella va (he/she is going) el/ella viene (he/she is coming)

For the second and third persons, I only put the singular version, not the plural.

thank you very much, it will help me a lot..God Bless..:)

Elaina October 20, 2007 07:17 AM

Hola.....

Endo/Ando endings.........means you are doing the action.

Vengo..... I am wondering exactly what you mean? If someone calls out for me, Elaina!! I could respond, Vengo!! (I'm coming) which might not be the correct conjugation of the verb because vengo = I come and not I'm coming but this is probably the only instance where Vengo = I'm coming.

Did I confuse you more?

Elaina:confused:

Tomisimo October 22, 2007 01:24 PM

The simple present tense in Spanish is the most common way of expressing the simple present AND the present progressive in English.

Voy a la tienda - I'm going to the store.

However, you can use the present progressive in Spanish, when you're actually in the act of doing whatever it is you're doing at the moment.

Estoy comiendo - I'm eating (right now I'm actually eating).

There's also another dynamic with ir/venir that's different than English. IR is always used when the destination (yours or someone else's) is not the same as your current location, and VENIR is used when the destination (yours or someone else's) is the same as your current location

Example:

Someone knocks on the door and you call out:
I'm coming!
The destination (the door) is not the same as your current location, so you have to use ir.
¡Voy!

It´s the same with traer and llevar.