Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Daily Spanish Word (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Particulares (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=8610)

viveka July 30, 2010 06:30 AM

Particulares

particulares, los particulares... ---- the other(s), strangers?

clases particulares -- private classes

when used to refer to "the other or strangers", it stroke me as particularly interesting the one day when court-interpreting and an attorney, who thought he knew Spanish, corrected my interpretation of the English word "others, strangers" because I used the false cognate "particulares". And recently I have wondered, apart from the use of "particulares" to denote something a "private" encounter, how many other uses I´m missing here.

In what other ways do you use "particular(es)" ?

:tree::tree::tree:
ginger and chamomile tea under the trees

Perikles July 30, 2010 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viveka (Post 90048)
In what other ways do you use "particular(es)" ?

un estilo muy particular - a very individual style
es un tipo muy particular - he's a weird guy
nada de particular - nothing special

:thinking:

pjt33 July 30, 2010 02:30 PM

El DRAE tiene varias voces ( http://buscon.rae.es/draeI/SrvltCons...EMA=particular ) pero la mayoría tienen en común tratarse de alguien o algo privado.

JPablo July 30, 2010 06:58 PM

In addition to that,
particular = (asunto) matter, point; conocemos su opinión sobre este particular = we know your opinion on this matter o point;
sin otro particular saluda a usted atentamente = sincerely yours, yours faithfully
(persona) (private) individual; viajar como particular to travel on private o personalbusiness;
de particular (Latinamerica) out of uniform :)

irmamar August 01, 2010 02:37 AM

With the meaning of "private or individual", you could have in mind that a firm can give services "a otras empresas o a particulares". For instance, a bank can lend money to a firm or to a person (un particular). :)

In these cases, "los particulares" are persons (personas físicas), while a firm is a "persona jurídica".

CrOtALiTo August 01, 2010 11:08 AM

Not the word Particular is only particular.
As you have told us.

Particular classes.
Style particular of a person.
Particular life.
Particular die.

Particular party.

I offer my particular services about computation.

I'm particularly amazing with your achieved.

I hope my examples work for you.

Sancho Panther June 15, 2011 05:50 AM

Quote:

sin otro particular saluda a usted atentamente = sincerely yours, yours faithfully

I'm completely familiar with that and have used it a few times, but I can't for the life of me understand what 'sin otro particular' actually means. Can anybody help? Shouldn't it be 'saludo a Vd'?

Hoy he aburrido a la gente doscientos veces.

AngelicaDeAlquezar June 15, 2011 01:03 PM

It's just one of those ellipses that aren't easy to guess, Sancho. It means "como no tengo ningún otro asunto particular que tratar, me despido". :)

And yes, it should be "saludo", although "saludo a usted" sounds awkward. I'd use something like "le saludo"/"le envío un cordial saludo" or so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sancho Panther
Hoy he aburrido a la gente doscientas veces.

swr999 August 28, 2011 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sancho Panther (Post 112226)
... Shouldn't it be 'saludo a Vd'?...

My sense of the usage here is that since this is a very formal (and formulaic) way to conclude a letter, the person doing the "saludar-ing" is put in the third person, le saluda atentamente - and then your name below.

Please correct me if I have misunderstood this. :)

Luna Azul August 28, 2011 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swr999 (Post 116395)
My sense of the usage here is that since this is a very formal (and formulaic) way to conclude a letter, the person doing the "saludar-ing" is put in the third person, le saluda atentamente - and then your name below.

Please correct me if I have misunderstood this. :)

I agree. This is very frequently done, you use the verb in the third person meaning that the person who's signing the letter is the one that 'saluda'. :)

Quote:

although "saludo a usted" sounds awkward.
It sounds arcaic to me. I've seen letters written at the end of the 19th century or beginning of the 20th century that use that term.