Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Vocabulary (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Medium shot/long shot (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=8531)

JPablo July 20, 2010 04:21 AM

Medium shot/long shot

A close-up shot can be translated into Spanish as "primer plano".
How would you translate "medium shot"?
The 'medium shot' is an intermediate shot that falls between the long shot and the close-up shot.

Thinking of examples, let's say you can have a camera footage of London, in general, then the camera goes to Wimbledon, (these are still 'long shots') and even the tennis matches, could be considered "long shots" although these get more into the range of "medium shots" that show you the action that is taking place...

Let's say, after the final is over the camera goes to Berdych and Nadal, they get interviewed, and these are 'close-up' shots. Whether we talk about 'still photography' or 'video camera footage'...

I thought of "toma panorámica" and/or "vista panorámica"... but I am not sure of the most common and professional way to name these two terms in Spanish (medium and long shots).

I am having the feeling I am going to go like :duh:, when you tell me, but right now I am not coming up with the expressions... wait a minute! ¿plano medio?
Well, I think I may go with that, unless someone has a better idea... but what about "long shot"??

Tomisimo July 20, 2010 11:42 PM

plano corto / primer plano = close-up (shot)
primer plano = foreground
plano largo / toma desde lejos = long shot

As for the definitions, let's take people for example. If the picture/video is of a person's face, it's a close-up. If it contains the face and part of the body, it's a medium shot. If it contains the person plus surrounding landscape, it's a long shot.

Edit-- Mira lo que encontré. [Más información aquí: plano cinematográfico]
  • Plano panorámico o gran plano general (extreme long shot)
  • Plano general (long shot)
  • Plano de dos (two shot)
  • Plano figura (full shot / figure shot)
  • Plano americano (American shot / 3/4 shot)
  • Plano medio (medium shot)
  • Primer plano (close up)
  • Primerísimo primer plano (extreme close up)

pjt33 July 21, 2010 12:13 AM

Interesting. I would talk about a "wide shot" in the context of photography, and leave "long shot" for projectile weaponry and improbable events.

JPablo July 21, 2010 02:53 AM

Thank you very much, Davidísimo... and yes, I understand your point Pjt33, but "long shot" is actually in wide use in the field of photography... but what can I say, 'price war' is not really military terminology, but rather marketing... :rolleyes: :)

Tomisimo July 24, 2010 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjt33 (Post 89242)
Interesting. I would talk about a "wide shot" in the context of photography, and leave "long shot" for projectile weaponry and improbable events.

That was my first thought as well, but after researching photography and cinematography, I realized they actually use the term "long shot" as well.