Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Grammar (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Inverted Punctuation (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=11606)

SPX August 28, 2011 10:30 AM

Inverted Punctuation

I've noticed that a lot of younger Spanish speakers don't use double punctuation in casual written conversation like when chatting online or posting somewhere like Facebook.

Is this common? It seems that among this crowd whenever you DO use double-punctuation it comes off as excessively formal. . .

Luna Azul August 28, 2011 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPX (Post 116390)
I've noticed that a lot of younger Spanish speakers don't use double punctuation in casual written conversation like when chatting online or posting somewhere like Facebook.

Is this common? It seems that among this crowd whenever you DO use double-punctuation it comes off as excessively formal. . .

A lot of younger Spanish speakers can't even write good Spanish.. :mad:

SPX August 28, 2011 11:29 AM

I'm just wondering if it's a general trend, and not just among younger people, to forego double punctuation when writing casually.

Cuholvke August 28, 2011 09:28 PM

You will be lucky if you find more than three spanish speakers per site who writes entire words, accents, commas and points. xD

Rusty August 28, 2011 09:43 PM

And that correctly use upper or lowercase letters. :)

points = full stops (BrE); periods (AmE)

laepelba August 29, 2011 03:34 AM

Not that I defend things that have been written incorrectly, but it has been explained to me that (at least in email) you can't always guarantee that tildes and other non-English-based punctuation can transfer as written, but sometimes come through as a jumble of alt-characters. I have found that happens to me when I attempt to be (ahem) and use the tildes, etc. anyway. :(

wrholt August 29, 2011 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laepelba (Post 116444)
Not that I defend things that have been written incorrectly, but it has been explained to me that (at least in email) you can't always guarantee that tildes and other non-English-based punctuation can transfer as written, but sometimes come through as a jumble of alt-characters. I have found that happens to me when I attempt to be (ahem) and use the tildes, etc. anyway. :(

Yes, that still happens sometimes.

[put on technical-expert hat]

This problem is a historical artefact of the development of communication systems, including teletype communications. Historically there have been many different schemes for representing text data electronically. Most schemes are capable of representing text in only one or a small number of languages. And for many types of documents there is NO standard means to record either the encoding scheme that was used or to detect what the scheme was. So, if your document editing/display program expects text in one encoding system and it tries to display text from a different encoding system, the mismatched characters show up as garbled text.

The good news is that the situation is changing with the increasing popularity of Unicode, an encoding scheme that can accommodate texts written in any combination of most existing scripts. The bad news is that not all older documents or legacy software systems have been converted to use Unicode.

[/put on technical-expert hat]

pjt33 August 29, 2011 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laepelba (Post 116444)

10 years ago I learnt to write ~ for ñ in e-mails. Nowadays I just use ñ and rarely have problems.

AngelicaDeAlquezar August 29, 2011 11:38 AM

@SPX: Just for the sake of pedantic attention to details: they are not "inverted punctuation", but "opening question/exclamation marks". :D

And I agree that most people writing in Spanish are too lazy and careless for writing with good spelling and acceptable (won't pretend good) grammar.

Rusty August 29, 2011 04:43 PM

SPX named the thread "Double punctuation." When I read that he was talking about dropping the inverted mark (the opening mark), I renamed the thread to "Inverted punctuation." In the U.S., we call the Spanish opening marks inverted or upside-down marks.