Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Grammar (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   S/z (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=8381)

irmamar July 01, 2010 04:43 AM

S/z

There are words that can be written in a different way in British and American English, above all these words with s/z, I mean, words like: analyse/analyze, realise/realize, etc. I know that those words written with "s" are British, although I know that they can be written wit "z" in British English as well.

I'd like to know if British English people prefer to write those words with "s" or with "z" and, if they preferred "s", would they/you distinguish if a text is written by an American or not when you're reading a text with "z" (if there aren't another words like colour/color, etc., of course, which could give you a clue)?

Another question: if I had to write several words like those in a text, would it be important (gramatically) if I wrote some with "z" and some with "s"?

These questions could look like stupid ones, but I'm very interested in your answers. Thanks. :)

poli July 01, 2010 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irmamar (Post 87632)
There are words that can be written in a different way in British and American English, above all these words with s/z, I mean, words like: analyse/analyze, realise/realize, etc. I know that those words written with "s" are British, although I know that they can be written wit "z" in British English as well.
Sí se puede pero todo el mundo van a creer que seas americano
I'd like to know if British English people prefer to write those words with "s" or with "z" and, if they preferred "s", would they/you distinguish if a text is written by an American or not when you're reading a text with "z" (if there aren't another words like colour/color, etc., of course, which could give you a clue)?
Sí, uno se puede escribir con un "accento" inglés o americano.
Another question: if I had to write several words like those in a text, would it be important (gramatically) if I wrote some with "z" and some with "s"?
Siempre es mejor estar consistente.
These questions could look like stupid ones, but I'm very interested in your answers. Thanks. :)

Inglés bien hablado o sea británico o americano es casi igual menos pequeñas diferéncias como el modo que deletreamos o pronunciamos unas palabras. Las diferencias se ponen más promenente (y interesante) cuando el inglés es menos bien hablado y con accentos regionales.

hermit July 01, 2010 06:10 AM

Hi Irmamar - I have an online student of English in Maylasia where they
use BrE. When editing her articles for publication I am careful to use ONLY BrE spelling for consistency...

Perikles July 01, 2010 06:13 AM

Quote:

I know that those words written with "s" are British, although I know that they can be written wit "z" in British English as well.

There is no clearly correct answer to this question because we don't have grammar police.

The long answer for BrE is that all these words are derived from the Greek ending -zein, so any word taken directly from the Greek can be s or z.

Words taken from French, however, who have systematically adopted the s for the Greek zeta, have a compulsory s in English: advertise, advise, apprise, arise, chastise, circumcise, comprise, compromise, demise, devise, disenfranchise, disguise, enterprise, excise, exercise, franchise, improvise, incise, merchandise, prise, revise, supervise, surmise, surprise, televise.

The short answer is that nobody really knows, so do what you like, except I think it would look odd if mixed in a sentence. Select one or the other, but don't mix. :)

AngelicaDeAlquezar July 01, 2010 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perikles (Post 87637)
The short answer is that nobody really knows, so do what you like, except I think it would look odd if mixed in a sentence. Select one or the other, but don't mix. :)

*sigh* Hete ahí. :worried:

JPablo July 01, 2010 08:51 AM

Y 'heta' allá. :wicked: :lol:

pjt33 July 01, 2010 12:01 PM

Quote:

I strongly prefer to write them with an 's'. Use of a 'z' is suggestive of en-us but less so than 'color'. Consistency is good.

CrOtALiTo July 01, 2010 04:38 PM

Irmamar.

My teacher taught me I could use the word S instead of Z, because it's very used for the American people in the United Stated, but I have asked here in the forum time before and the people prefer use the Z ( Realize ). Although they are correct in English and it doesn't affect the word, also I could to say it's a clue of the word you want to use, because literally you can use them in both cases.

Realize, Realise, although the orographic corrector, always highlight me the phrase Realise wrote with the letter S, then well I believe each person have the capacity to decide above what word should to use.

JPablo July 02, 2010 12:15 AM

Do you really sink we zhould worry about this izzue? :wicked:

Just kidding. I agree with all the above... and most likely, apply the consistency point mentioned, and "When in Rome, do as Romans do;" when in Oxford, do as Oxfordians do; when in Haaavaaad, do as Haaavaaadians do... and you may become a plugging success!

pjt33 July 02, 2010 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPablo (Post 87727)
...when in Oxford, do as Oxfordians do...

You could start by calling them Oxonians :p

(Well, there may be some disagreement over whether Oxonians applies to people from Oxford or just members of the university, but I don't think "Oxfordians" is common currency).