Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Translations (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Abstract (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=14575)

Rigoletto January 18, 2013 09:37 AM

Abstract

I would like some opinions about this abstract that I prepared; I translated into english. Can you help me with this? Thank you a lot

"It is proposed to reconstruct the social practices and the construction of a collective identity of the members of the Royal Army Border of Chile, through its writings and self-representations, from the second half of the XVII century until the first half of the XVIII, and their relationship with local colonial society and the Mapuche’s chiefdoms of the Araucanía. This was a military force created in 1603 existing until the early XIX century, being its main operating theatre located on the border margins Biobío River and the surrounding region."

Perikles January 18, 2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rigoletto (Post 131795)
"It is proposed to reconstruct the social practices and the construction of a collective identity of the members of the Royal Army Border of Chile, through its writings and self-representations, from the second half of the XVII century until the first half of the XVIII, and their relationship with local colonial society and the Mapuche’s chiefdoms of the Araucanía. This was a military force created in 1603 existing until the early XIX century, being its main operating theatre located on the border margins Biobío River and the surrounding region."

Not much wrong with that, I think. I suggest

existing - which existed
being its main operating theatre located - operating mainly
border margins Biobío River - Biobío River (? I'm not quite sure what you mean :thinking:)

Rigoletto January 18, 2013 08:02 PM

Biobio is the name of the River...

Thank you very much Perikles, you're great.

Rigoletto January 18, 2013 11:50 PM

When I translated the text, I was thinking in the Bank of the Bibio River...I think that Bank of the riverr is more proper than Border margins???

Rusty January 19, 2013 08:15 AM

... operated mainly on the bank(s) of the Bibío River.

Rigoletto January 19, 2013 08:35 AM

operated or operating?? mainly on the bank of the Bibío River.

Which one is the correct form?

Rusty January 19, 2013 09:27 AM

You could use either one in your narrative.

"This was a military force, created in 1603 and lasting until the early nineteenth century, operating mainly on the banks ..."
-or-
"This was a military force, created in 1603 and lasting until the early nineteenth century, (which) operated mainly on the banks ..."

Royal Army of Chile
Royal Army of the Chilean Border
Chilean Border Royal Army

Rigoletto January 19, 2013 11:07 AM

I have more clarity now. Thanks you Rusty, your remarks helped me a lot. thanks again...