Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Vocabulary (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Chuleta (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=15998)

Perikles May 16, 2013 03:17 AM

Chuleta

Usually means 'chop' in chuleta de cordero, or a 'crib' in an exam. But I have just seen it used meaning a 'bill' or 'receipt'. This was somebody working in a bank here in Tenerife.

Does anybody recognize this use of the word, or is it just Tenerife?

Thanks.

ROBINDESBOIS May 16, 2013 04:26 AM

First time I heard it. Not used on the Mainland.

chileno May 16, 2013 08:08 AM

Can you write the sentence in which it was used?

Perikles May 16, 2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chileno (Post 137858)
Can you write the sentence in which it was used?

Yes :D:D She said "My car tax has not increased this year, I know this because I have kept all my old chuletas" :D:D

She is English, but works in a Spanish bank where this expression is (presumably) used by the Spanish there. They send you a form telling you how much you have to pay, you pay it and the form gets stamped so you can prove you paid it. This is the chuleta. So it could be a bill or a receipt or just a piece of paper.

chileno May 16, 2013 12:07 PM

I see. Must be something from that bank, or something as used in Spain.

In Chile a chuleta is a kick, besides pork chop. :)

AngelicaDeAlquezar May 16, 2013 02:50 PM

Can there be an explanation through this rather long and winding road?:

According to the DRAE, "chuleta" may be a small piece of wood used by carpenters or masons to stuff hollow spaces in their works. This is more or less coherent with some items I found through Google, which seem to be carved pieces of wood to make stamps, and are called "chuletas" or "chuletas de sello". So if the name for the stamped document is taken as a synecdoche, "chuleta" then makes sense. :rolleyes:

chileno May 16, 2013 04:41 PM

That's interesting!

I had forgotten that chuleta also means "sideburn" :)

poli May 16, 2013 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar (Post 137881)
Can there be an explanation through this rather long and winding road?:

According to the DRAE, "chuleta" may be a small piece of wood used by carpenters or masons to stuff hollow spaces in their works. This is more or less coherent with some items I found through Google, which seem to be carved pieces of wood to make stamps, and are called "chuletas" or "chuletas de sello". So if the name for the stamped document is taken as a synecdoche, "chuleta" then makes sense. :rolleyes:

:thumbsup::applause:
So another word for chuleta in this case is un documento franqueado?
In English we may say a franked ticket for a ticket that's stamped or validated.

chileno May 16, 2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poli (Post 137893)
:thumbsup::applause:
So another word for chuleta in this case is un documento franqueado?
In English we may say a franked ticket for a ticket that's stamped or validated.

It could be so, although in this case sello would mean more of stamping with a rubber stamp, or like a water seal type and not a postal stamp.

Or that's what I am understanding from what Angélica said.

pjt33 May 17, 2013 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar (Post 137881)
This is more or less coherent with some items I found through Google, which seem to be carved pieces of wood to make stamps, and are called "chuletas" or "chuletas de sello".

Consistent.