Foros para el aprendizaje de inglés y español

Foros para el aprendizaje de inglés y español (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Traducciones (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Hola, I would like a sentence translated por favor (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=19608)

Dontknow145 March 16, 2015 02:25 AM

Hola, I would like a sentence translated por favor

Hablando se entiende la gente, pero a putazos les queda todo clarito,

someone wrote this on a social media, and I am thinking it was in reference to something I said. I would like to know what this person was saying, if it was slanderous in nature or what the context might be in Spanish. If someone could help me learn that would be great, I suspect it may not have been very kind but I want to know for sure what was said...I am hoping none of the words are really bad, please forgive me if I have used a bad sentence...I am trying to learn this persons character.

Rusty March 16, 2015 05:30 AM

Basically, it means something like:

People understand each other through speaking, but it takes a wallop to make everything perfectly clear.

AngelicaDeAlquezar March 16, 2015 02:05 PM

I agree with Rusty, but I will just add a note on vocabulary: "Putazo" is a bad word, synonymous of "golpe".
Although many people write on social media with cursing words, they're still not approppriate for all situations, so one has to be careful with them.

"Hablando se entiende la gente" is a common saying, that means you can always find a compromise or an agreement with people if you talk about it and hear their opinions as well.

The addition suggesting that you can impose your views and make the others agree with you by beating them up is a touch of humour that doesn't usually go with the popular saying. ;)

Dontknow145 March 17, 2015 02:25 AM

gracias

Thanks for the quick response. It makes a lot more sense now that I see it from how you explain it. mucho gracias :D

AngelicaDeAlquezar March 17, 2015 09:58 AM

"Gracias" is feminine and plural, so "mucho" doesn't match. ;)

I'm glad you found the answers useful. :)

Dontknow145 March 31, 2015 07:44 AM

so it would be muchos gracias?

wrholt March 31, 2015 01:05 PM

Cita:

Escrito originalmente por AngelicaDeAlquezar (Mensaje 154329)
"Gracias" is feminine and plural, so "mucho" doesn't match. ;)

I'm glad you found the answers useful. :)

Cita:

Escrito originalmente por Dontknow145 (Mensaje 154480)
so it would be muchos gracias?

Not quite: the numbers match (they are both plural), but the genders do not.

"Gracias" is a feminine plural noun, while "muchos" is a masculine plural adjective.

The adjective "mucho" belongs to the class of adjectives that must agree in both gender and number with the nouns that they modify.

Dontknow145 April 06, 2015 01:57 PM

hmm. how would I say Thank you very much then? I thought it was mucho gracias. much thanks. I am going to sign up for Spanish school when I get to Cancun or Playa. Not sure which yet.

cheers again, you guys are great!

AngelicaDeAlquezar April 06, 2015 02:40 PM

Mucho -> masculine, singular
Mucha -> feminine, singular
Muchos -> masculine, plural
Muchas -> feminine, plural

=> "Muchas gracias" is the right agreement.

La franja horaria es GMT -6. Ahora son las 03:46 AM.

Foro powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.