Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Idioms & Sayings (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   La madre que me/te/los parió (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=3510)

kandy April 04, 2009 02:22 AM

La madre que me/te/los parió

Does anybody know an equivalent idiom for this expression in English?

Thanks in advance.

sosia April 04, 2009 05:12 AM

As we're entering the conlorful and amazingly world of spanish insults
Wait for a native, here you have some options:
Hidden Text: Show/Hide
Click to show hidden text - Da click para revelar el texto oculto

Saludos D:

kandy April 04, 2009 06:34 AM

thanks sosia... can it also mean something along the lines of "what fools they are"?
the person who said it (and who is not prone to using profanities!) was responding to a joke i had forwarded to her about a certain pueblo in the south of spain where the people have gained the unfortunate reputation of being a little less than intelligent... my friend commented "Ay Señor! Estos de (said pueblo) siempre dando la nota! La madre que los parió! ;-)"

Rusty April 04, 2009 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sosia (Post 30777)
Since we're entering the colorful and amazing world of Spanish insults, wait for a native. Here you have some options:

Saludos D:

I don't believe I've ever heard this insult before.

The literal translation provided by sosia wouldn't be considered an insult in any sense. So, I had to go hunting for the reason this seemingly innocent phrase could even be used as an insult.

The DRAE and another source reason that this sentence fragment is an insult because human beings don't parir (to give birth to an animal, to calve, to foal, to lamb, to reproduce some thing, etc.). Some of the dictionaries I checked say that parir can indeed be used to describe human birth.

At any rate, since this a Spanish insult (I don't know if it's used elsewhere), the phrases that sosia provided in the hidden section are accurate. More phrases could be added, from vulgar to lesser degrees of vulgarity. The politest insult I came across is blasted. The fragment is used as an interjection, so a single English word can be substituted (like the bad four-letter word that sosia alluded to, or the much-less-vulgar blasted).

Jessica April 04, 2009 07:16 AM

Quote:

Saludos D:

bad words O.o :eek:

chileno April 04, 2009 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty (Post 30780)
I don't believe I've ever heard this insult before.

The literal translation provided by sosia wouldn't be considered an insult in any sense. So, I had to go hunting for the reason this seemingly innocent phrase could even be used as an insult.

The DRAE and another source reason that this sentence fragment is an insult because human beings don't parir (to give birth to an animal, to calve, to foal, to lamb, to reproduce some thing, etc.). Some of the dictionaries I checked say that parir can indeed be used to describe human birth.

At any rate, since this a Spanish insult (I don't know if it's used elsewhere), the phrases that sosia provided in the hidden section are accurate. More phrases could be added, from vulgar to lesser degrees of vulgarity. The politest insult I came across is blasted. The fragment is used as an interjection, so a single English word can be substituted (like the bad four-letter word that sosia alluded to, or the much-less-vulgar blasted).

And since you provided this explanation. it can be said that this phrase could be said in a polite way in Spanish, as BESTIA/S :)

But, it is still an insult...

Elaina April 04, 2009 08:27 AM

I agree with Chileno.........insults!

CrOtALiTo April 04, 2009 10:21 AM

Quote:

Saludos D:

They are insults.

sosia April 04, 2009 10:50 AM

With this context it changes. It's more amiable.
In this case it's not really an insult, but an expression.
Indicates the community is particular...
I'm no good in english expresions ...

"Ay Señor! Estos de Lepe siempre dando la nota! La madre que los parió! ;-)"
Oh, God! Those people of Lepe always conflicting . What a people!

other similar example:
"Otra vez me ha parado un policía y me ha puesto una multa. La madre que los parió!
A policeman has stopped me once again and I have another fine. Damned police force!

You are not really against them, but they are a temporal "pain in the ass"
Saludos :D

PD Rusty: modismo: dar la nota : Desentonar o actuar de manera discordante (destacar) To show off?? to conflict??

poli April 06, 2009 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sosia (Post 30803)
With this context it changes. It's more amiable.
In this case it's not really an insult, but an expression.
Indicates the community is particular...
I'm no good in english expresions ...

"Ay Señor! Estos de Lepe siempre dando la nota! La madre que los parió! ;-)"
Oh, God! Those people of Lepe always conflicting . What a people!

other similar example:
"Otra vez me ha parado un policía y me ha puesto una multa. La madre que los parió!
A policeman has stopped me once again and I have another fine. Damned police force!

You are not really against them, but they are a temporal "pain in the ass"
Saludos :D

PD Rusty: modismo: dar la nota : Desentonar o actuar de manera discordante (destacar) To show off?? to conflict??

I would use feuding for dando la nota if dando la nota means they are alway fighting

If la madre que te parió is often used in a somewhat insulting way,
how would you say biological mother (as opposed to adoptive mother)?
Madre biologica really doesn't sound right to me.