Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Vocabulary (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Sentido del ridículo (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=9928)

aleCcowaN January 04, 2011 04:25 PM

Sentido del ridículo

How can I say "carecer de sentido del ridículo" in English? It is acting or making remarks systematically without being aware of constantly being making a fool of oneself.

CrOtALiTo January 04, 2011 07:26 PM

Hello.

Good night.

I would consider this literal translation for example I would write that so.

Ridiculous sense.

Really that phrase gives us an expression of something that hasn't any sense for someone at this case, therefore I would use that expression in the order as is translated.

I hope can be useful my commentary.

Sincerely yours.

Rusty January 04, 2011 10:22 PM

have no shame

That guy has no shame. He's been making an absolute fool of himself all night.

aleCcowaN January 05, 2011 02:05 AM

Thank you, Rusty. I'm thinking how shame and to make a fool of oneself relate, maybe because I have associated shame with "vergüenza" and "no tener vergüenza" relates with bad behaviour but not with fool behaviour.

Is there some general concept in English that can be used as "sentido" in "sentido del ridículo", "sentido del ritmo", "sentido de la proporción", "sentido de la oportunidad", "sentido común", etc?

AngelicaDeAlquezar January 05, 2011 09:00 AM

I've seen "(not) to have sense of proportion". Maybe "sense" would work for the others too. (?)

Perikles January 05, 2011 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleCcowaN (Post 102909)
Is there some general concept in English that can be used as "sentido" in "sentido del ridículo", "sentido del ritmo", "sentido de la proporción", "sentido de la oportunidad", "sentido común", etc?

sense of the ridiculous; sense of rhythm; sense of proportion; an instinct for an opportunity; common sense. :)

aleCcowaN January 05, 2011 11:34 AM

Thank you very much, Angélica and Perikles.

María José January 05, 2011 12:43 PM

In my opinion, no tener sentido del ridículo is something positive. I always tell my students they must not be self-conscious. (que no deben tener sentido del ridículo)
I always thought it meant to be self-confident.:confused:

Perikles January 05, 2011 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by María José (Post 102943)
In my opinion, no tener sentido del ridículo is something positive. I always tell my students they must not be self-conscious. (que no deben tener sentido del ridículo)
I always thought it meant to be self-confident.:confused:

If that is the case, it has nothing to do with "sense of the ridiculous". The latter is knowing when something is ridiculous, and having the sense of humour to laugh at it. Having no such sense would be negative. :thinking:

aleCcowaN January 05, 2011 01:13 PM

One thing is "no hay que tener temor/miedo al ridículo" (though they often say "Del ridículo nunca se vuelve") and quite a different thing is "no tener sentido del ridículo".

I was looking for "sense of the ridiculous" in books.google and I found a lot of instances and even explanations. Thanks again. My only question is about Joe Six-pack understanding it if I should say "you lack the sense of the ridiculous".