View Single Post
Old December 11, 2010, 05:05 PM
Diamond

ROBINDESBOIS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamas View Post
guys i'm really into learning the spanish language and i'm also into looking at the cultural aspect of words used in spanish for example charco in cuba may mean puddle but charco in puerto rico may mean a small lake or pond. there similar but have different meanings depending on where you go that are different than the standard. This fascinates me. So i'm looking over different spanish slangs that i can find, like in cuba socio means friend or pal. in spain it means business partner.Or in DOM.REP- aposento is bed room in other places aposento means chamber.

What phrases or slangs in your country are different or may be different than ones in another.
That´s called dialects of the same language, some of those words were used in Spain centuries ago , if you say in Spain aposento now, people would laugh at you, but we understand it perfectly. And socio also has the cuban meaning in informal language. You see after all, they are not that different unless they take loanwords from their native language like in Ecuatorian etc...

Last edited by ROBINDESBOIS; December 11, 2010 at 05:08 PM.