View Single Post
Old June 23, 2008, 01:14 PM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfonso View Post
Great explanation, Poli. You are imagining Elaina's intentions. Maybe written words, sometimes, are not enough to convey completely and exactly what we mean. But (I disagree), if I take Elaina's words without any affective approach neither to them nor to her, I would think that there is some kind of opposition to something before said. It could be your words or not. To make this meaning disappear, I think it would be enough to substitute pero with además. This is, to me, the way to sum and not to subtract.

It's not common to use me suena in the place of me parece, so it's only a chose you made that, in that case, worked.
-----

Gracias Alfonso ahora entiendo lo que dices. En inglés no tenemos una palabra igual a además. Usamos pero. Ahora veo que pero es una palabra de contención en español. Pero puede confudir y enojar cuando la verdadera intención es benigna. You will find that native English speakers who are fluent may use pero when they mean además.I will try to remember to use además to avoid confusion in the future.

Last edited by poli; June 23, 2008 at 01:29 PM.