View Single Post
Old December 10, 2011, 08:13 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemacabre View Post

Si te enojas = If you get mad
Entenderé = My guess is "I understand." Right verb, wrong tense. It means "I'll understand." I know the "é" plays a big part (Yes! It's the ending of a conjugated verb, and the ending is extremely important.) but I'm unsure how the é would replace "Yo" (Technically, it conveys 'yo', so it's not necessary to say 'yo'. It doesn't replace 'yo'. If you wanted to be emphatic, you could say 'yo' in conjunction with this ending.) wouldn't "Yo Entender" also work? (No.) If it even means "I understand." (It doesn't. 'Entender' is an infinitive - the unconjugated form of the verb. It means '(to) understand'. A subject pronoun, like 'yo', cannot be used with an infinitive.)

Si no me hablas = If you don't talk to me
Entenderé
Si me ignoras = If you ignore me
Entenderé
Pero si dejas de importarme = I think its saying " But if you leave" ('leave' is one meaning of 'dejar', but when 'dejar' is followed by 'de + infinitive', it means 'stop ___ing'.) I cannot translate "de importarme" ('importarme' - infinitive 'importar' + indirect object pronoun 'me')
Es tu turno de ENTENDER = It's your turn to UNDERSTAND.
Not bad! I spelled a few things out for you. See if you can come up with the right translation of 'Pero si dejas de importarme'.