View Single Post
Old January 29, 2013, 12:38 PM
Emerald

Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awaken View Post
Has any one of the native English speakers here done an English teaching trip abroad in a Spanish Speaking country? I had a friend who did it and seemed to enjoy it, but I'm interested in how it works really. She came back with a better understanding of Spanish for sure, but after 6 months definitely wasn't even close to fluent. Probably not even Intermediate.

Do you need to know Spanish at least a little to be teaching English? I just am curious about it because it seems like an interesting way to visit Europe where it is partially funded and able to learn the language.
Hola/Hello Awaken. I went to school in San Miguel De Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico. I lived with a Mexican family while there. I already knew how to speak Spanish and took the highest level of classes they had. While there I helped the lower level students learn Spanish. I married a native Spanish speaker and had to learn Spanish from nothing but I had the advantage of knowing Italian since I had lived and went to school in Italy.

Any way I taught English as a second language for years to adults and it was an advantage to know Spanish since most of my students spoke Spanish. I also had students that spoke many other languages so obviously you can't know all languages. My sister for example only speaks English and she taught E.S.L for years to adults. Her students were from Cambodia and could not even read or write their own language. She would have over 40 students in her classes. I use to go and watch her teach. The students were very respectful to her and she loved them as they loved her.

There are some 1,000 U.S. military bases all over the world. They are in Spain, Italy, Germany, Japan, Korea, Guam and who knows where else. Any way some 700 countries around the world have U.S. military bases.
Most of these bases have K through high school programs and need teachers. I was in Vicenza, Italy and the U.S. Army base there had a full K-12 program. All the teachers were civilians. Many of the teachers have been there for years. Some over 20 years. One of my friends was a full time sub teacher for them(Vicenza, Italy) and worked almost every day. He also tutored students after school. He told me about DoD for getting a job in Italy or any country that has U.S. military people. Think about it. They need teachers of all subjects and coaches for most of the major sports. Vicenza, Italy American high school has all the major sports including American Football, basketball, track and soccer. Do you know how to coach a sport?

If you want a job teaching abroad go here:

DoD jobs DoD civilian employment job listings

Last edited by Rusty; January 29, 2013 at 03:28 PM. Reason: merged back-to-back posts, removed formatting