View Single Post
Old August 07, 2008, 10:03 AM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramses View Post
Yeah, but I strongly believe that there's a general path someone can (or should) walk in order to become fluent. When you speak English, do you think about grammar all the time? Maybe once in a while, with complex sentences, but not in general. Learning a language is all about growing an intuition. People who say they *need* to understand *each and every* piece of grammar before they can be fluent are talking BS. You can't be fluent when you think about stuff like grammar all the time. Natives just rule regarding their native tongue because they don't think about the correctness of their language.

They grammar-loving people you've come across: are they near-native fluent? I guess not, because that impossible. Sure, you can be a grammar lover, but please only be one when you're already fluent at the language in question (concentrate on the hows first, the whys will come later).
Recuerdo cuando aprendí manejar una bicicleta. Al principio tuve que
recordar como aplica los frenos, como mantener veloclidad, como balancear, como diirgir. Ahora, ni tengo que pensar nada cuando uso una bicicleta. Iqualmente recuerdo cuando tenia que concentrar comunicar en el español. Not tiene que saber todos los detailles fastidiosos gramátcas pero el conocimiento de la gramática basica me ayudaba y todavía me ayuda o sea menos.

Last edited by poli; August 07, 2008 at 10:06 AM.