View Single Post
Old August 14, 2013, 01:26 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by laepelba View Post
2)
c) ¿¿...?? No sé.... You're conjugating with a subjunctive that has no reason to be there. You only have to check your structure.
d) Por mucho que Mario no beba, es un mal hábito. (I'm guessing this is wrong, but I don't know how to express the opposite - the exercise only gave "muy" and "mucho" as examples... Could it possibly be "por menos que"???) "Por menos que" doesn't sound right to me (I don't think I've ever heard it used for this kind of purpose), but your sentence is correct and makes sense. However, the immediate choice for a native speaker would have been with "aunque".
e) Por mucho calor que haga, estaremos bien al sol. (Again, I honestly believe this is wrong, but I have no idea....) It's not wrong. I want to believe that "estar bien al sol" means to like it, and that it has no implication on how healthy it is or how many skin cancers it can give to you, which is the reason why this example bothers us.

3)
a) (¿Por qué el "?"? Quiero decir "disadvantaged". Does "desfavorecido" not mean "disadvantaged"?) This is a calque from English. En español no se es ni se está desfavorecido. :thinking.
The adjective goes straight with the noun:
- Las clases más desfavorecidas reciben apoyos gubernamentales.
- Estamos analizando cuáles son los grupos más desfavorecidos para diseñar los programas de desarrollo.
- Ofrecieron muchas becas para estudiantes desfavorecidos.
I think your sentence can be reformulated to avoid the construction that sounds awkward.

c) I meant to say something like: "Even though I didn't stay in New York last week, I rested in my own house for a couple of days." How would you say that? Does it not fit the model? I'd make sure to clearly state that although most of the week you weren't there, you did stay a couple of days at home. The last emphasis can be made inserting a "sí".
d) The example given (on another page): http://www.blogdeespanol.com/wp-cont...oncesivas..pdf - in the second page, under the past tense. I tried to use (3c) as the first example of pasado and (3d) as the second example. If I hadn't written (3c) as I did, would (3d) be correct? I only see two examples in past tense there, but the second one says: "Ayer, aunque hubiera llovido, habría ido al concierto." This is your model.
e) I tried to model this after the third example in the future tense (same page as previous).... That's alright, I only wanted to make sure that you mean what you think you are saying. Your sentence says that whether you are working or not, you're still planning to go to the movies with me (nothing is settled yet, since you're using the conditional), but I don't know if this is what you meant.

Ugh! This one was really difficult................
Not that difficult; you are doing alright. As far as I know, nobody gets the equations right at first try.