View Single Post
Old August 22, 2008, 12:10 PM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by María José View Post
You know, Poli, I was thinking and maybe I do have a multiple-personality disorder. You know: Iris, Gemma and now María José...Just kidding.
But on a more serious note, there's something which I have always found fascinating. A lot of famous writers, poets, painters, composers ... have suffered and suffer from mental illnesses. Is it just a coincidence? Is it that we learn about it because they are famous? Or is it true, as some mental health professionals say, that a high IQ is often related to mental instability or neurological disease?
Some examples that come to mind are:
- Mary Lamb (who co-wrote Tales from Shakespeare)
- Sylvia Plath (though been married to Ted Hughes might have precipitated her tragic ending )
- John Nash
- Iris Murdoch
- Goya
- Beethoven
- Mozart
And we could go on and on. I don't know but there seems to be a link between being a great artistic genius and suffering from 'depression' (a very blurry term, I know)
Sorry if this is getting too depressing (another redundancy) but it's cloudy at the moment in Madrid.... The thing is... I like cloudy!
Cloudy in Madrid? That's rare. Cloudy in New York. Not so rare, but not today. I definitely think that mental illness opens up a well of creativity in some individuals-- a well that sometimes unfortunately cannot be controlled without heavy duty drugs. One thing I know for a fact: mental instability does not discriminate. People with high IQ's and low IQ's suffer
from it, and it is a source of creativity for some, and I am grateful for that some.

Last edited by poli; August 22, 2008 at 12:34 PM.