View Single Post
Old August 15, 2020, 05:56 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés (en-gb)
pjt33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
I checked and saw that a user of Duolingo posted, on March 5, 2019, that 'Yo hubiera tenido información' was translated as 'I would have had information'.
That doesn't feel like a full Spanish sentence to me: without context, I would guess that an ojalá has been elided. In that case, at a big stretch, I could see "I would have had" being used as synonymous with "I desired to have" by the kind of speaker who would consider "I will drown and no-one shall save me!" as a declaration of intent to commit suicide rather than a cry for help or a cynical observation. But that's very marginal, and I bring it up only for completeness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar View Post
- Me pude haber ido al extranjero, pero entonces no habría/hubiera tenido la dicha de conocerte.
I could have gone to a foreign land, but then I wouldn't have been so happy to have met you.
I would read that English sentence as suggesting that I would still have met you, but in less happy circumstances. IMO a better translation would be:

I could have gone abroad, but then I wouldn't have had the blessing of meeting you.

If blessing seems too religious, joy or great pleasure could also be substituted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar View Post
- Si no me hubieras interrumpido, yo habría/hubiera tenido la información a tiempo.
If you hadn't had interrupted me, I would have had the information on time.
I'm guessing the second had was unintended.